VMware Horizon Community
dennislee911
Contributor
Contributor

View 5 blank screens using dual monitors on a Wyse P20

Anyone else having issues running the View 5 agent and dual monitors on the P20? If I'm running v5 with dual monitors, users can login but they get blank screens and automatically get booted off and back onto the login screen. Unplugging the 2nd monitor allows you to login. My workaround for now is to use the v4.6 agent.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

I too have experienced this problem with View 5 and 4.6. It seems to happen more often with View 5 and Windows 7, at least for me. The work-around you stated works for me as well. I think it is safe to say that the reliable way around this problem is to setup your users who are using dual monitors with one monitor for the first login. Then after the user has logged into the VM for the first time then plug in the second monitor. If the VM is persistent it will always work without having to play with the monitor anymore. This works for me very well. I wonder if anyone has a method to avoid this problem altogether?

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

I just wanted to clarify one thing. I am only using the View agent version 5.0 and not the 4.6 agent. I am not sure that is recommended in a 5.0 environment. If you do the work-around I stated with the 5.0 agent you should be good. Is your pool(s) persistent?

0 Kudos
dennislee911
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue for both persistent and non-persistent pools.  I'll give your recommendation a shot.  Thanks

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

I am not sure how this will work with non persistent pools, but it works well for me with persistent pools. Good luck and let me know how it works out for you. Hey VMWare!!! Is this a known issue that there is or will be a fix for?

0 Kudos
Sergei13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any news on this ?

I have the same problem with both EVGA PD02 Zero Client and reconfigured PCs.

For some reasons, with 1 screen , no problem, but all sorts of issues with 2 screens.

It happend with View 4.6 and continues with 5.0.

Since I am only using linked clone pools, I thought it could be related to something somewhere in the user's roming profil but didn't manage to identify it.

Any help from Mister VMware would be much appreciated Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

if you search these forums the last couple of months you would have seen the workaround from Teradici. Which is to turn off energy saving "Control Panel -> energy settings" default is set to 10 minutes, but if you change to never turn off then it will work perfectly with view agent 5 and dual monitors,

Why? no idea, but my guess is a bug in the videodrivers

0 Kudos
PhilofPerth
Contributor
Contributor

Had this same issue my self.  Initally not an issue, but after an update to the image (default profile) to enable Aero the issues you reported came through.  After looking at the post I found this KB article on the monitor issue.  This resolved the issue http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200827...

0 Kudos
Sergei13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In fact I found 2 bugs :smileyshocked:

When you moved a window from 1 screen to the other, it was taking 3 or 4 seconds to move ! This was happening connecting from both Zero Client and View Client.

First VMware gave me a quick fix since there is apparently an identified problem with View 5, VM type 8 and Windows 7x64 and dual screen.

The fix was to add a mks line option in the .vmx so it works.

But this generated an issue with Teradici since I couldn't connect any more to a VM from Zero Client, but OK from View Client.

Teradici eventually sent me a new pcoip_server_win32.exe that fixed the issue. They said it would be made available in the next release !

After copying this new .exe to the Master, I removed the line VMware support provided and it works OK.

0 Kudos
royberk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This sounds a lot like an issue we were experiencing here a while ago with the ClearCube Zero Clients.

Look at the clients firmware version.

We found that by rolling back the firmware 1 or 2 version back it fixed ALL of the video related issues that the View session was having.

This makes sense for all clients, not just ClearCube since Teradici is the firmware developer for most of these.

Just my 2 cents

0 Kudos