VMware Horizon Community
Thunderb1rd02
Contributor
Contributor

View 5 Video Performance

Hello,

I have very choppy video with View. Here is what I have done and am using.

I have update 1 applied.

Using XP VMs

4 GB of Ram

128 MB of Video Ram

2 vCPU's

Set the frame rate to 15.

Set the maximum image quality to 70

Went through the optimization guide.

Tested videos from Youtube and local flash and wmv files, all choppy.

There is no load on the ESX hosts or SAN, this a brand new enviorment with no users yet.

Not sure what I can change, Any suggestions?

Is View 5 cabable of displaying videos properly on XP?

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

If this is on vSphere5 and Hardware version 8 I would implement the workaroun in this kb-article even if the symptoms does not perfectly match your description: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201035...

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
r_lam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Based on the specs of your View VM's I won't expect that this would be the problem.

However I have witness that some Thin Clients have a very poor video quality, perhaps because they use a low end CPU/GPU in these devices.

So my question is; what kind of client are you using to access the View environment?

0 Kudos
barnseyVDI
Contributor
Contributor

I had near perfect video playback using zero clients and Thick PCs, then using some new HP Thinclients on the same pool the video was poor on you tube. Try and check using another client. I am currently awaiting the latest T610 to test. 

0 Kudos
r_lam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same results over here, however the Zero Clients we used for testing had a Teradici PCoIP chip embedded, so that should give much greater graphical performance.

We also test a HP thinclient (can't remember the model) but we see that when using youtube the CPU of the thin client goes to 100% CPU time during the video.

0 Kudos