VMware Horizon Community
digerati646
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View 5.3 not powering on dedicated view desktops

I just recently upgraded to View 5.3 from View 5.1.  Everything is green and working normally in my dashboard.  Prior to my upgrade to 5.3, when a view user tried to connect to their desktop and it was off, vcenter would turn it on for them and they would be able to connect.  After my upgrade, when a view desktop is shutdown, view cannot turn it back on.  The end user gets the error:

"The assigned desktop source for this desktop is not currently available"

Anyone know why this could be?  I am on vcenter 5.5 and ESXi 5.5.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
8 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Does View issue a command to power on the desktop and it's failing or just does it not do anything?  If it issues a command you would see it in the vCenter instance.

0 Kudos
digerati646
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't see anything happening in vcenter when trying to connect.  It immediately gives the error, like it doesn't even attempt to try and power it on with vcenter.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Do power on operations in other pools work?   If you reset a machine via View Admin do you see the reset take place in vCenter?

0 Kudos
digerati646
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, powering on VMs in other pools does not work, same error.  Yes, I can reset vms via the View Administrator interface, I can see it reset in vcenter as soon as I send the command through the View Admin console.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If you change the pool power policy to always power on machines does that bring them online after they have been shutdown?

0 Kudos
digerati646
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my pool, under "remote desktop power policy", I set it to "Ensure desktops are always powered on".  It was previously set to no power policy.  I powered off a couple VMs in that pool and they did not turn back on.  Is this the setting you were talking about?

0 Kudos
RLI2013
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had the same issue in our 5.3 environment. Even the "remote desktop power policy" was set to "Ensure desktops are always powered on" the VMs did not power on after a shutdown. This happened in all pools. After initiating a "Reset" to one of the power off VMs, this VM power on withou problem. After doing this all other power off VMs in all other Pools power on automaticaly... Hocuspocus... Since then it is working fine - would be nice to know, what was causing the issue. Anyone any ideas?

0 Kudos
digerati646
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I figured out my issue, guess I didn't put the answer here.  When you restart vcenter, you must also restart your View connection servers.  I guess they get out of whack if you reboot vcenter without rebooting your view connection servers.  My fix was to shut everything down, vcenter and all view connection servers.  Turn on vcenter, wait 5-10 mins, then turn on your view connection servers.  Try that and see it that fixes it for you.