VMware Horizon Community
tannerp00
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View 5.3 Recompose issue - Boot order of HD changes

I recently inherited a VMware View 5.3 environment and I have an issue when I recompose the systems.  I can deploy a new VM from a recent snapshot but every time I recompose the desktops the HD boot order changes in the BIOS and the system cannot boot until I manually modify the order.   I tried to recompose the system to the previous snapshot and had the same issue.  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tannerp00
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able tor resolve the issue by deleting the CDROM drive from the parent image and adding it back in.  It appears to have been an issue with a virtual hardware upgrade that was done some time ago but was never cleaned up.   Once I added the new CDROM drive I took a new snapshot.  I had to remove the desktops and have them rebuilt with this new snapshot.  Once they were rebuilt I could recompose with no issues. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

My first Wild Guess is a Replica Problem Refer to this for a complete Lifecycle

VMware KB: Linked-clone lifecycle in VMware View Manager 4.5 and later releases

Create a new Snapshot of the Parent Image and Try to 2 things

1)Create a Test pool with one test desktop. Doe it work ???

2)recompose an existing Desktop against that Snapshot.

3)Also What is the Scsi Controller?

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
tannerp00
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1)Create a Test pool with one test desktop. Doe it work ???

I can deploy new desktops with the snapshot, but I cannot recompose with it which was the same as before.  I am still having the issue where the HD boot order gets modified.

2)recompose an existing Desktop against that Snapshot.

I recomposed an existing desktop, that is part of a separate pool and parent VM, with the same snapshot I used in step 1 above and it was successful.  

3)Also What is the Scsi Controller?

LSI Logic SAS, same as the other desktops.

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Can you attach the latest Log file that has the failiure from composer machine C:\ProgramData\VMware\View Composer\Logs\

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
tannerp00
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Attached

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This does not have the failure

0 Kudos
tannerp00
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, I know.  I have opened a case with VMware to straighten this out.

0 Kudos
tannerp00
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able tor resolve the issue by deleting the CDROM drive from the parent image and adding it back in.  It appears to have been an issue with a virtual hardware upgrade that was done some time ago but was never cleaned up.   Once I added the new CDROM drive I took a new snapshot.  I had to remove the desktops and have them rebuilt with this new snapshot.  Once they were rebuilt I could recompose with no issues. 

0 Kudos