VMware Horizon Community
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View 5.2 with HW 3D - slow video performance

Hi,

I have question for everyone. Did you anybody successfully try hw 3d acceleration playing the HD video (local or from youtube)?

I have one HP DL380p Gen8 server (128 GB, 2x 8core, local HDDs) with Quadro 4000. On this hw is running everything (vcenter, dc, view broker, virtual desktops).

I have latest View, vSphere, drivers for GPU, pool is set correctly.

Testing - 2 running desktops and infrastructure on hypervisor:

1) When i tried linked pool the video on VDI desktops (win7x32) was snatchy/freezy with no impact to CPU of host. (Same bad performance is about 20-30 VDs running on host)

2) When i tried fully provisioned VDIs (same OS) video was played perfectly but CPU of host was stressed 20%

I tried change size of video memory of VD, change framerate, change encryption, change vRAM and vCPU for VDs...

Have you anyone same experience? Have you anyone tips for testing? Have you anyone tips why with linked clones is performance bad and with full VDs good but with impact to hosts CPU?

thank you for replies

JZ

0 Kudos
15 Replies
djbreezer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

what Pcoip-Client you're using?

i've an Dell R720 with Nvidia K1 GPU and 300GB Ram, Intel E5-2690.  And LG Clients with Teradici 2321 Chips.

Pool:

Linked-Clone

512 MB VRAM

2 GB Ram

2vCPU

3D Rnd. On

I've changed these settings by GPO:

turn off the Build-to-Lossless

Video-Playback in the Linked-Clones is possbile in FullScreen till 480p. But 720p and 1080p is stuttering. I will try to install a fully provisioned desktop to test these settings there.

0 Kudos
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have no thin client but usual laptop HP EliteBook 8440 with 8 GB RAM and dedicated GPU.

JZ

0 Kudos
TomMar
Contributor
Contributor

Call Teradici up and get the registry key that enables something like new_color_coding or something like that.  I'm away from my work computer so I can't look it up exactly.  But we have the same setup on our hosts, K1 GPUs, same CPUs same Teradici chips in our endpoints.  That registry key let us do full screen 1080p video finally, it also smoothed out any Aero performance issues we had.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I think this is the setting that TomMar is mentioning:

In some cases there may be PCoIP zero client log entries such as:LVL:1 RC:-500 MGMT_IMG :(pkt_rx_resource_check): Insufficient imaging resources. Dropping imaging data.Workaround:This issue will be addressed in an upcoming firmware release.  To workaround, determine if the color codec is the issue, set the following registry key as shown below to see if the problem goes away.pcoip.enable_new_color_coding 0 The registry key is a DWORD value.Note: Ensure you have the necessary backups in place and are familiar with changing the registry before proceeding.To change the registry key:

1. Click the Windows Start button and type regedit in Search programs and files.

2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Teradici\PCoIP\pcoip_admin.

(If you do not see the 'Teradici' key and subsequent keys, you will have to create them)

3. Add new DWORD Value and name it pcoip.enable_new_color_coding.

4. Give this a Value data of 00000000 and click OK.

5. Add new DWORD Value and name it  pcoip.enable_temporal_image_caching.

6. Give this a Value data of 00000000 and click OK.

7. Disconnect/Reconnect your PCoIP session for the change to take effect.

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
TomMar
Contributor
Contributor

That's the registry key I'm thinking of.  We also changed some BIOS settings on our hosts and that seemed to help out too.  I can't remember where I got those, but the settings were for a Dell R720.

0 Kudos
djbreezer
Contributor
Contributor

We've set the key now and nothing has changed. Can you please look at the Bios-Settings you've changed? What Pool-Settings you've made? And what Hardware was given to the master-vm?

0 Kudos
TomMar
Contributor
Contributor

I can't look at the BIOS settings, those servers are in production right now.  But they were related to memory settings.  The original post is somewhere on this forum and there's an attachment from somebody that had all the changes they made.

Pool settings are just that 3d is enabled with 512mb of video ram.  Each VM has 2gb of ram and 2vcpus.

I'd check to see if your GPU acceleration is actually working.  Download GPUcapsviewer and run the benchmark for Furry Cube at 600x600 and you should see it reporting that it is rendering around 30fps.

0 Kudos
djbreezer
Contributor
Contributor

I've made the same test an got 30fps with 2vCPU, 2GB and 128 MB VRam in Linked Clones. But Youtube Videos still have lags and sound cracks.

0 Kudos
vRickE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I Have a 5 Dell R720 servers with 2 Nvidia K1 on each and im having the same experience with videos and audio... VSGA or VDGA experience is about the same...

My Pool config is:

512MB VRAM

4GB RAM

2 vCPU

@rickespada
0 Kudos
VirtualMattCT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you had the full vs linked clones, did you have the same net number of desktops running on the host?  When you are running the test, have you looked at the output form the nvidia-smi command, to see how taxed the GPU actually is?

Outside of that - make sure you are using the VMXNET3 adapter and that interrupt coalescing is functioning properly.  That was an issue prior to 5.2 I believe.

When you were talking about frame rate, did you tune this reg key or the PCoIP frame settings:  MaxAppFrameRate?

0 Kudos
djbreezer
Contributor
Contributor

Yes the same number of Desktops and i'am using VMXNET3 adapters. 

This morning i was running a test with 25 Linked-Clone Desktops playing Youtube-Videos. Actually i got the best perforamance without any changes via GPO!

But the CPU-Utilization of the host was at the maximum:

screeni.jpg

0 Kudos
VirtualMattCT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nice ... you going to try to get your hands on an APEX offload card next? 🙂

0 Kudos
djbreezer
Contributor
Contributor

You can send me an APEX and i'll test it Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
vRickE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What changes did you made to get the performance?

I've tweak some settings and im getting acceptable performance now but audio still breaks sometimes.

Setting I've applied:

Max PCoIP Session BW 7000 kb/s

PCoIP Audio BW Limit 500 kb/s

Turn Off Build to lossless

some settings on this guide http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMW-Tuning-Latency-Sensitive-Workloads.pdf

BIOS to High Performance and ethernetX.coalescingScheme disabled

@rickespada
0 Kudos
erei314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VRickE,

This may or may not apply. I observed audio breaks on Horizon when using Win 7 and Win 8 64.  When I switch to 32 bit OS the audio became smooth.  Additionally from VMware KB: Audio issues with the VMware Virtual Audio (DevTap) driver running on a Horizon View desk... consider Teradici's audio driver and setting Audio Bandwidth to 100 kb/s.  If you are looking for performance tweaks consider How to optimize a VMware View Installation at That's my View .

0 Kudos