VMware Horizon Community
Jamit2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View 5.2 Power Policy Problem

Hi All,

We recently upgraded from View 5.0 to View 5.2 and I have noticed a problem with the power policy. We also upgraded to

We have our pool power policy settings set to 'Ensure desktops are always powered on' I have noticed since the upgrade the VDI's in the pools are not auto powering on after a shutdown is sent either from the vShpere client or from the Guest OS (XP and Win7). 

The Guests have the latest agent and tools installed.

We also upgraded vCentre and vShere from 5.0 to 5.1.U1 in the same change.

We are still upgrading our Host to from Esxi 5.0 to 5.1 as I right this and I have tested on both version of Esxi and still have the same problem.

I am monitoring the vShpere task and we have no other pending tasks and from what I can see we are not reaching our 'Max concurrent power operations' defind in the View vCenter  settings.

Has anyone got any tips on trouble shooting this or experiencing this problem.

Our Guest are dedicated guest.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

So it worked prior to the upgrade but now you don't even see a power on task started in vCenter?   I looked through the admin guide and it states that when the always powered on policy is used it applies to both assigned and unassigned desktops.   I don't see why this wouldn't work.

If you to a test deployment with a downgraded agent does it work? 

0 Kudos
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

During the View upgrade, did you upgrade View Composer prior to upgrading your Connection and Security servers? Are provisioning operations working, just not automated power operations? Since Composer is the glue that binds View to vCenter, it sounds like that might be where the issue is, but if provisioning is working, then that's probably not it.

0 Kudos
Glenn77
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same problem (with slightly different config).  Composer operations are working but not the power-on feature for pool configured as "ensure always powered on".  I have a ticket open, I'll update when I hear back unless the original poster or someone else has the fix.

0 Kudos
Jamit2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi All,

0 Kudos
Glenn77
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare support advised me to shut down all connection servers, then start one and see if the power on issue is resolved with one started.  If it is resolved, boot the additional connection servers and see if the issue stays resolved or not.  So I did that last night and my issue is resolved, in that the machines power back on after being shutdown from either inside the vm or from vcenter.

Note that when booting the connection server it takes a seemingly long time for the admin console to work, as the server has to start some services that are set to "manual" in addition to the services set to automatic startup.

0 Kudos