VMware Horizon Community
edutz1014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View 5.2 Design Question

I have two different clusters. One for my servers and another one for my VDI. Is it recommended to keep my vCenter and Connection server on the same cluster as my VDI desktops? We are seeing some issues related to disconnects and black screens. I am wondering if having my vCenter and Connection server on the same cluster as my desktops would help. Below is a very high level overview. I have already asked for 10 GB network adapters for my lan connections, but not sure that will happen anytime soon.

VDI Cluster

2 ESXi 5.5 Hosts with 10 GB iSCSI (Dell Blades)

125 desktops running Windows 7 with unidesk for management.

2 nics at 1 GB

Server cluster

2 ESXi hosts running vSphere 5.5 (Dell Blades- Different Chassis from above)

this cluster hosts my VDI vCenter and connection server vms.

2 nics at 1 GB

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I always recommend to have the "Managers" ie Connection broker and vCenter on another cluster to have separation of the tasks.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
twrangham
Contributor
Contributor

What type of servers are they as far as resources? I think this, plus if you are planning to scale the amount of virtual desktops up would cause me to throw all 4 in a single cluster and just put the servers in a resource pool. I wouldn't recommend having 10+ servers in the same cluster as VDI, but I don't think 3 would do much harm.

Having 125 desktops running on 1 host if the other failed would be a bigger concern to me.

Just my .02.

0 Kudos