VMware Horizon Community
Advlegal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View 5.2 Blast Web Client

Hello All,

We are doing an implementation and are configuring the 5.2 web interface/blast. Everything seems to be working just fine but have one concern. The configuration required us to open on our external firewall the 8443 TCP port. So we now have two ports open for this service to work. 443 & 8443. What we found before opening the 8443 port was the login web site running on port 443/HTTPS would redirect to a URL with the 8443 in it trying to launch the desktop. Is it possible to make this entire configuration ride on HTTPS/443, so we only have one port open externally.

Been unable to find anyone else that has asked this question or perhaps I am just totally missing the documentation on this somewhere.

Thanks,

-DS

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello DS,

To use the Blast protocol you must have both port 443 and 8443 open. Port 443 is used to server the View portal for users to download the thick client as well as access the Blast client login. Port 8443 is the port used to tunnel the Blast traffic through the Security Server or Connection Server to the end desktop. These are different services and require different ports. Both connections are secured via SSL.

-Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello DS,

To use the Blast protocol you must have both port 443 and 8443 open. Port 443 is used to server the View portal for users to download the thick client as well as access the Blast client login. Port 8443 is the port used to tunnel the Blast traffic through the Security Server or Connection Server to the end desktop. These are different services and require different ports. Both connections are secured via SSL.

-Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos
Advlegal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Mike. I figured as much but I thought I would ask.

0 Kudos
RTE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still i would like to know if there's a decent way to configure the HTML 5 acces (blast) on port 443 instead of port 8443 because of the fact our customers in the finance branch are highly secured, and there's no possibility to use the 8443 port for connections outside to our clients Horizon View solution?

- figured out there are some 'solutions' with a sort of reverse proxy configuration, but the won't work (tried pfSense, IIS7, TMG reverse-proxy, all with URL rewrite methodes)

Very little information within VMware explaining the proces of this Blast 'reverse-proxy' service, where i should be possible to run a secondary security-server for the use off VMware Blast service on port 443? VMware does describe this 'problem' but only gives some solution to change the port 8443 to p.e. 9443, which isn't an option in this particular case.

Maybe someone out here knows better (i hope......) and got some explanations?

thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos