VMware Horizon Community
heIIvis
Contributor
Contributor

View 5.1 some users have problems to connect to the pool

Hi,

I have a small pool with avout 30 Windows 7 64 bits desktops into it. On a reccuring basis, some users can't connect the the pool, even if desktops are availables. The pool is linked-clone with floating assignement. Each time the users log off, the desktop is refreshed.

The users receive some errors like the display protocol is not ready or no available desktops. But at this moment, many desktops are available.

If found in the log that the user try to reconnect always to the same desktop when the problem occur. The log only say that the user close the session by itself, but it's not the case.

The only way to fix the problem is to reset the desktop in questions and during the time that the desktop reboot, the user can log to another one.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dougpatterson
Contributor
Contributor

I was about to post about the same problem. It doesn't happen too often. I have an XP pool as well and never saw any problem with those (we want XP though). I had issues (or still have and just didn't show up couple of days) with Win 7 losing IP addresses, I am not sure if that was related.

0 Kudos
marcdrinkwater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How much Video RAM is assigned to your Desktops?

Does the View Client log offer any insight as to why it cannot connect?

The location of View Client log files:

• Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\VDM\Logs\

• Windows 7 and Windows Vista:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM\Logs\
0 Kudos
heIIvis
Contributor
Contributor

The ram for the video card is 8 mb.

For the logs, I will check with the next user that will have the problem.

0 Kudos
dave_j
Contributor
Contributor

older post i know, but any luck on a resolution? we just implemented view 5.1 (with unidesk on top) and have the same behaviors for users connecting to a floating pool. first time connection is ok, at logoff the machine resets and then you receive the 'no protocol available' message.

what's also odd is that when a machine is in this state, i can not restart it via vcenter, errors with

"Call "VirtualMachine.RebootGuest" for object "VDI-PoolTest-01" on vCenter Server failed."

and this will affect every desktop in the pool. Once i do a reset from inside view mgmt to all computers., it will work again until a user logs off the next time.

it feels like a config problem in the floating pool, but haven't figured it out yet. will be opening a ticket with VMware soon.

oh, and i had bumped vram to 128, and there are no errors in the logs on the client side.

0 Kudos