VMware Horizon Community
ericblc2
Contributor
Contributor

View 5.1 corrupt image when more than 1 snaphot

I have a View 5.1 test lab (one big ESX 5.1 with View 5.1). Everything works fine except when I try to create a linked clone pool with a master image that has more than one level of snapshots.. the result will automatically a Windows 7 link cloned that will not get nd of "provisioning" because Windows is corrupt. If I delete all snapshots and create one the pool will create juste fine.  Various versions of view agents, vmware tools, esx patches have been tried. Even vanilla Windows 7 with 2 small snapshots will create the problem.  1 snapshot = ok.

Any ideas ?

(no kms, using technet plus sources and mak keys)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ericblc2
Contributor
Contributor

In the end this might not be an View problem... more ESX

I cannot make a stable "clone" of a VM that has more than one snapshot.   The clone will reboot in "Windows startup repair " mode. 

Of course the first thing view does when creating a pool is to clone the master image+snapshot into a replica. 

Once again if I delete all the snapshots and recreate a single snapshot it works.

Not a show stopper ... but I'm baffled.

0 Kudos
skhudy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi did you fix this in the end? Thanks

0 Kudos
ericblc2
Contributor
Contributor

Never did.

Gave up.

It's my home lab (esx 5.1 on mac pro 2012 with areca 1882 raid card).  I can only recreate this problem at home so it's gotta be something with my own setup. Smells like storage issue.  I'm too tired from work to spend my weekend figuring it out.  :smileyplain:

0 Kudos
TylerApache
Contributor
Contributor

I saw this once in our environment but I never got a good answer.  Once I blew away the uneeded snaps, the pool started acting normally. 

0 Kudos