VMware Horizon Community
williamsfudge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View 5.1 VM Freezes

All --

For the record - I have entered a VMware Support Request and their next step was for me to rebuild my golden image from scratch.  I'm hoping that the community has a better alternative.

I recently built a brand new view environment and am having connection issues with one of my pools.  The desktops are Windows 7-4bit, linked clones, floating assignment.

I uninstalled the old view agent, made a clone, removed from inventory on the old vcenter (4.1 vsphere).  Then added to the new vcenter (5.0.0u1).  I uninstalled and reinstalled vmware tools.  Rebooted.  Installed the View 5.1 agent.

Now through the security server, users are getting assigned a VM but then getting a timeout error. They may also get an error "display protocol not available.".

I look at the Vsphere console for the VM they are assigned to and the mouse/display is locked.  But you can RDP to the VM. 

Any suggestions here?

Thanks!

VCP on vSphere 4
0 Kudos
11 Replies
mclark
Expert
Expert

When I upgraded from View 4.6 to View 5, I had the same issue. The final result was that I had to rebuild my golden image from scratch. Support never got anywhere with it. I don't use the Security server, but the same symptoms were seen.

0 Kudos
williamsfudge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you have the frozen mouse/display in the console?

VCP on vSphere 4
0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

Yep. What you describe is exactly what happened here. I sent logs, etc. to support but to no avail. I finally gave up and re-created the golden image, and everything was back to normal. I don't know what it was about the agent, but an upgrade messed it up badly. I'm just hoping that the same thing doesn't happen when we go from 5.0 to 5.1.

0 Kudos
williamsfudge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yea the support tech suggested making a golden image without the agent as a best practice.

Then clone that, boot it up, install agent, make snap and clone.

Then your golden images never get the agent.

Guess that's what I'll be doing from now on.

VCP on vSphere 4
0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Guys. I can report that a View upgrade to 5.1 is a nightmare. With all the changes now with the need for a valid cert for vCenter as well as the View components it's not smooth. Even when I resolved most issues it seems that the upgrade to Composer isn't smooth. I had to uninstall/reinstall composer and build new pools. If you can build a separate View 5.1 environment and restore the View LDAP database to it, you'll be better off IMO.

0 Kudos
williamsfudge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yea I built a new environment and just moved the golden images over.

VCP on vSphere 4
0 Kudos
williamsfudge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I recreated my golden image and am still having issues.   Awesome. 

VCP on vSphere 4
0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yeah for upgrades!! 🙂 Hope it works out for ya.

0 Kudos
sfsiher
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever find a resolution to this? We are having a very similar issue. Seems to be a display issue when users are scrolling through email or word document or adobe or moving application from one screen to an other there VDI freezes. There is a work around to where they just disconnect from the client and reconnect and everything is back to normal on there VDI. Let me know if you found a fix for freezing issues.

Thanks

0 Kudos
williamsfudge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You seem to be experincing something totally different.  Our problem is at the PCOIP/network layer.  Your issue seems to be related to performance.

Check out this article and it links to several helpful KBs and documents:

http://blog.clearpathsg.com/blog/bid/197346/Lag-When-Dragging-a-Window-Between-Monitors-in-VMware-Vi...

VCP on vSphere 4
0 Kudos
sfsiher
Contributor
Contributor

We have already tried this fix with zero success. Still scratching my head!!!

Shawn Fisher

DataCenter Manager

CPAs|Business & Financial Advisors

INTEGRITY COUNTS ®

7425 Jefferson St NE Albuquerque, NM 87109

😧 505.998.3450 | F: 505.998.3333 | redw.com<http://www.redw.com/

0 Kudos