VMware Horizon Community
KrazeyKami
Contributor
Contributor

View 5.1 - Use Linked Clone as Golden Image (reversed engineering) questions...

Hi all,

We are using View 5.1, and have linked clones provisioned.

Now, i want to set up a new pool, parallel to the existing one, but i want to use one of the linked clones as the new golden image, since it has alot of new software installations (installed by the end user).

What i did:

- Clone an existing linked clone to a new machine;

- Renamed it, rejoined the domain.

At this point, i have a perfectly working VM, that is domain member, and responds to everything.

Now, i used this one as base for the new pool, so i:

- turned it off

- created a snapshot.

After this, i provisioned 5 new machines from this machine.

All goes well, except for 1 key thing:

They all have the same hostname, namely the one of the golden image... They all share the same computer AD account.

New AD accounts have been created, but it seems that the new clones don't get customized properly, and therefor don't receive a new hostname.

---

I know this way of reversed engineering is a bit flaky, but it will save us weeks of time, if we can reprovision like this.

Are there any tweaks / registry changes / others that i have to do on the 'new' golden image, before provisioning?

I feel it has something to do with the fact that i cloned a provisioned linked clone into a new VM...

If some1 has a better plan of approach that will work, im all ears...

----

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vRickE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think you will need to remove the VM from the domain before taking the snapshot.

@rickespada
0 Kudos
KrazeyKami
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

The golden image VM needs to be a member of the domain.

This is also how we normally provision from 'normal' golden images.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

It's likely the result of quickprep not running because it assumes it has already run.     I'm not sure how to trick it or even if it's supported but you can try removing the 20 MB disk attached to the VM as I remember that may contain some quickprep info. 

0 Kudos
KrazeyKami
Contributor
Contributor

Aah yes, i forgot to inform about this..

I did upfront remove the 20 MB disk, so its not there anymore.

0 Kudos
Lewis00
Contributor
Contributor

I would try to re clone the LC. However during the process at the "Guest Customization" window select "Customize using the Customization Wizard" and check "Power on this virtual..."

Enter in your domain info you want to utilize as if you where installing the OS a new, but be sure to check "Generate New Security ID" when  you get to "Operating System Options".

That should at a minimum get you a new SID which will be associated with the new name while leaving it a member of the domain.

Just a thought.

-Tanner

0 Kudos
rflarabee
Contributor
Contributor

Another thing to do is remove the View Agent.  Recycle the machine and then look to install it again.

If you did not remove it, then info would still be in there.

0 Kudos
KrazeyKami
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that one, didn't work sadly..

0 Kudos
rflarabee
Contributor
Contributor

I just thought of one other thing,  what are you using for the Customization?  QuickPrep or Sysprep.

If you are using Sysprep, swap over to QuickPrep and see if the situation follows it.

0 Kudos