VMware Horizon Community
rwood56847
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View 5.1.3 and Windows 2019 RDS

I think I know the answer to this, but I have a rather old View 5.1.3 environment that we re-purposed after a failed VDI deployment to handle Terminal Server connections to 2 Windows 2008 R2 Terminal Servers. Given that Windows 2008 R2 is EOL after January 2020, we are migrating our 2008 R2 servers to 2019 servers. After having installed RDS on the 2019 server and the View Agent the View Administrator does not show the new RDS server as a selection to add to the existing pools or when I create a new one. Can a 2019 Terminal server be added to such an old environment?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Horizon View 5.x went end of general support on 2016/09/14 and 5.1.3 was technically not supported long before that (support applies to the latest maintenance release). Horizon View 6.x is going end of support on 2019/06/19. You need to prioritize an upgrade to the latest Horizon 7.x release. Given your situation I would advise a greenfield deployment and migration. Server 2019 support for RDS was only just added in 7.7.0.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/support/product-lifecycle-matrix.p...

Release Notes for VMware Horizon 7 version 7.7

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Horizon View 5.x went end of general support on 2016/09/14 and 5.1.3 was technically not supported long before that (support applies to the latest maintenance release). Horizon View 6.x is going end of support on 2019/06/19. You need to prioritize an upgrade to the latest Horizon 7.x release. Given your situation I would advise a greenfield deployment and migration. Server 2019 support for RDS was only just added in 7.7.0.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/support/product-lifecycle-matrix.p...

Release Notes for VMware Horizon 7 version 7.7

0 Kudos
rwood56847
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the information, I had thought as much. Given this is a legacy deployment I'm not sure if we will be able to upgrade our license to 7 so I can redeploy a new server.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As long as you have maintained your software and support maintenance you can upgrade the license.

0 Kudos