VMware Horizon Community
six4rm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View 5.1.2 Problem with Smart Cards - Desktop not seeing reader.

Hi all,

We're trying to roll out a Linked Clone desktop pool that will be used by our Accounts department and as such they need to be able to use Smart Cards for banking purposes. We've installed all the necessary software on the template machine (GemSafe Gemalto) and also connected one of our Thin Clients (Wyse V10L or C10LE) to the template directly via RDP with the Smart Card Reader attached to make sure the various drivers install correctly and all is well, the VM is able to see the Smart Card Reader.

The issue comes when we roll these machines out to the pool, the Smart Card Reader isn't being detected at all. We've tried connecting from the Thin Client through View or via RDP directly to one of the Linked Clone desktops and both methods experience the same behavior, i.e. the reader isn't seen at all. If we plug/unplug the reader from the Wyse terminal we can see it being detected within the Event Log on the Thin Client itself.

What tools or logs can we use on the View or VMware side to troubleshoot this issue?

To confirm, in the Connection Server settings Smart Card Authentication is set to Optional. In Global Policies USB access is set to Allowed.

If any further information is required please ask and I'll be happy to provide it.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
six4rm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Right, we've gotten to the bottom of it...and I'm kicking myself!

There was a Computer Configuration side GPO enabled. Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Remote Desktop Services/Remote Desktop Session Host/Device and Resource Redirection - Do not allow smart card device redirection.

GRRRR!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Can you downgrade view agent to 5.0 and test your smart card reader. Also you will get more information in view client logs and view agent logs. You can enable USB trace logging to get more information. If this issue is not resolved with view agent 5.0, please file support request with Vmware and let me know Support Request number.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
six4rm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for the suggestion, We've tried 5.0.0 and we're seeing the same issue. Works fine via RDP direct to the Template VM, but as soon as we create the Linked Clones it fails to see the Card Reader. If we RDP directly to the Linked Clones it's also not seeing it.

How do we enable USB trace logging?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
six4rm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi again Mohammed,

I've just logged this with VMware Support. Ref: 13335631606.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

Are you able to redirect any other USB drive to this virtual desktop. Instead of thin client, can you use your laptop for testing.

I will send instruction through email to enable USB trace logging.

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Also try this KB  http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026991

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
six4rm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm the secondary contact on the Support Request, so use those details. Smiley Happy

I did come across that KB in my searches, but none of them seemed to apply to our scenario.

I'm pretty certain that USB storage redirects OK using the Thin Client, but I shall confirm.

0 Kudos
six4rm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Right, we've gotten to the bottom of it...and I'm kicking myself!

There was a Computer Configuration side GPO enabled. Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Remote Desktop Services/Remote Desktop Session Host/Device and Resource Redirection - Do not allow smart card device redirection.

GRRRR!!!

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Good...

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
six4rm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your assistance. I'm so annoyed that I didn't spot that sooner.

Moral of the story: Trust in VMware, always look at the Microsoft side of things first!

julianamunoz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello!

Really nice, Thanks you Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Wink

Regards :smileygrin:

Juliana Muñoz

0 Kudos