VMware Horizon Community
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View 5.0 vs Citrix?

Question.,.

I was at VMworld and attended some sessions on vSphere 5.

I did one on View 5.0 and it appears there have been improvements over View 4.5.

I am having a meeting tomorrow with some  mgrs on desktop virtualization.

From what I understand, their org  may be using Citrix for desktop virtualization.

Since I am familiar with VMware,  I would like to go the VMware route.

Are that any major advantaged of using View 5.0 over Citrix?

Not sure if it is XenDesktop  4 or 5.

thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

if you are a partner of vmware, you can have competitive comparison from the partner portal, else you can get it from your local vmware rep.

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks

We are not a partner,,

I was looking for a perspective from two side:

VMware Engineers / sales

and

Real world users

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

You need also the Citrix perspective Smiley Happy

Some docs are also available for end user, try to find them with Google.

For the Admin side, the XenDesktop setup is (IMHO) a little more complicated.

With View 5 the WAN optization and also the 3D support gaps are filled... so features are almost similar.

For the user side, this could be the real big difference... because it isn't objective, you must (IMHO) conduct a PoC to see with product could be better by testing the required applications.

Of course, for simple or standard environment this is not necessary... but for a customers, just to make an example, the speed of open the menu of a legacy application was the most important aspect and the reason of why View was choose.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

I have deployed both Xendesktop and View, and I must say I have less headaches with XenDesktop generally. Areas I would take care to compare are:

Bandwidth consumed over a WAN with each protocol

Performance of each protocol for the end user

Do WAN accelerators need to be used? PCoIP can't be accelerated in this way

Work out how apps are going to be delivered, to have XenApp to fill in the gap between virtualised apps and apps installed as part of the image is a big advantage

System alerting and reporting

Profile Management (View should have the advantage with version 5)

Disk IO load

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

was your deployment with view 5.0 and Xendesktop 5?

thanks

0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

View 4.5/4.6 - View 5.0 hasnt been released yet, and the bug with View Composer misalignments and the profile management are significant improvements. Done multiple Xendesktop deployments from 2.0 until 4.0 with a sneak preview of Xendesktop 5.0

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks ,

I was doing some digging on view 5 and it indicates it is easier to deploy and manage than XenDesktop and

offers 75% reduction in network bandwidth

Alos

Does XenDesktop offer the following (which view does)?

• Online - Offline Desktop Mgt
  • No AD schema extensions
  • Agent-less application virtualization solution  and no servers required
0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

Yes those advantages are true. I'm not sure about the integration with Xenclient and Xen Desktop, if it doesn't already exist it will soon.

Thinapp is a great app-virtualisation tool in my opinion. Very simple and fast. With Xendesktop, if you dont get your profiles right, application launch times can be slower.

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the info,,,

I will know more once I get a rundown on what is running now and what is required.

0 Kudos