VMware Horizon Community
13linded
Contributor
Contributor

View 5.0 to 5.2 - Upgrade or Start Fresh?

I've had numerous, inconsistent issues with VMware View 5 since the get go.  Issues mainly dealing with View Composer actions that fail (can't delete VMs, can't modify pool settings, etc.) that VMware has escalated to their engineering department and have not provided any solutions.  I've given up resolving the issue.  In a desperate attempt to stabilize our environment, I'm going to try View 5.2.  I've read the upgrade documentation and it sounds fine but since I already have a slew of problems (I think it's with the View Composer DB), I want to know if it's possible to just start fresh? 

Can View 5.0 and 5.2 coexist in the same AD domain?

What do I need to be wary of by going this route?  I'm pretty sure there's no way to carry a pool over from one deployment to another so I'll just have to spin up new ones.  Problem is I use persistent disks (which probably account for 75% my View woes), so how do I get them reconnected to the new enviro?  I have to reuse the EMC SAN so the files will be accessible, I'm just suspicious that View won't accept an older version persistent disk.  Anyone have any ideas?  If anyone has opted to start "fresh", rather than upgrade, please let me know your process and outcome.

I'm on ESXi 5.0 623860.  All View is running 5.0.0-481677.  I have a dual Security/Connection server setup.

Thanks so much!

Kyle

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Camek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We did the fresh start when we upgraded to View 5.1....  The issue is to run both an older version and View 5.1 (or View 5.2) at the same time you need to have two vCenters so you can have two different Composer's running ( we run Composer on our vCenter server) which then means two different groups of ESXi servers too, but both systems can all use the same shared storage (we use EMC too).  The biggest pain in the process is you end up having to recreate all your desktop pools, which for us was OK because we wanted a nice clean system when we move to view 5.1... not sure if I will just upgrade directly to view 5.2 or not...

0 Kudos