VMware Horizon Community
pieterjanheyse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View 5.0 and fullscreen video

I am currently testing full screen video in View and having poor results.

What would I like to achieve? Full screen (1280*1024) 20fps video, using a WMV9 compressed, or mpeg2 compressed source. Youtube at 720p would be fine, too.

I am using PCoIP as protocol and suspect that I have a lack in processing power to compress the PCoIP stream to my zero client endpoints (Samsung NC190).

My VM is running windows 7, 32bit, with 1.5GB RAM, and 4 vCPU's (did so for testing). I enabled 3d rendering on the desktop pool and gave the VM 128MB of video RAM. The nic is a VMXNET3 NIC with the added tuning parameter.

Is there anything I can do to improve video playback? I only get around 10fps now, the parsed pcoip log is attached.

Will an APEX2800 card help me here?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

What is happening that you need to improve?   I think the APEX card is only going to help offload the CPU processing that would have been eatup by the software PCOIP/   

0 Kudos
pieterjanheyse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I need to improve the video frame rate, I only get around 10fps (according to the PCoIP config. utility released by Chuck HIrstius). Audio is fine.

When using a dual core VM, cpu usage is 100%, but in my VM, it is not. I assume this is the PCoIP compression overhead and I can mitigate this using an APEX 2800 card.

I created a new, 4 core VM, and cpu usage is not 100% on all 4 cores, so leaving cpu power to spare. In this scenario, my framerate does not go above 10fps when running any video fullscreen. Basically, it seems that PCoIP is not capable of compressing more than 10fps fullscreen? Or I have a misconfiguration somewhere?

0 Kudos
housec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What are you using to play the video in the desktop VM?

0 Kudos
pieterjanheyse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am using VLC media player in both tests, as well on the zero client as on the softclient, in the same desktop. I dit use Firefox to run a youtube video fullscreen (big buck bunny) with the same results.

0 Kudos