VMware Horizon Community
ITTech2002
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View 5.0 - Windows 7 - Aero

Does VMware View 5.0 support Aero on Windows 7?

I am unable to get it working...  I made the following changes:

• View 5.0
  • vCenter 5.0
  • ESXi 5.0
  • View 5.0 Agent
  • View 5.0 Windows Client
  • Updated VMware Tools
  • Enabled PCOIP, Disabled RDP, Enabled 3D Support

Is there any other changes that I need to make?

Thanks much!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
9 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
ITTech2002
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks man.... Here are the details...

Configuring 3D Rendering on Windows 7 Desktops

When you create or edit a Windows 7 desktop pool, you can configure 3D graphics rendering for your desktops. When you select this desktop setting, users can take advantage of graphics enhancements that are provided by applications such as AERO, Microsoft Office 2010, and Google Earth.

To enable 3D graphics rendering, your pool deployment must meet the following requirements:
n ThedesktopsmustrunonESXi5.0orlaterhostsandbemanagedbyvCenterServer5.0orlatersoftware n The desktops must be Windows 7 or later
n The desktops must have virtual hardware v8 or later
n The pool must use the PCoIP as the default display protocol
n Users must not be allowed to choose their own protocol

When you enable the Windows 7 3D Rendering setting, you can configure the amount of VRAM that is assigned to the desktops in the pool by moving the slider in the Configure VRAM for 3D guests dialog box. The default VRAM size is 64MB, the minimum size. You can configure the amount of VRAM up to a maximum of 128MB.

The VRAM settings that you configure in View Administrator take precedence over the VRAM settings that can be configured for the virtual machines in vSphere Client.

When you enable the Windows 7 3D Rendering setting, you can configure the Max number of monitors setting for one or two monitors. You cannot select more than two monitors. Also, the Max resolution of any one monitor setting is set to 1920x1200 pixels. You cannot configure this value.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you  get it working?

WP

0 Kudos
ITTech2002
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is still not working...  I think it maybe the result of running the Windows 7 Optimization script.   What are your thoughts?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That likely could be it. Another thing to note is Aero is a preferences setting. As a user you need to turn it on depending on the origin of any given template.

Have you gone into a session, selected preferences and then tried selecting an Aero theme?

WP

0 Kudos
ITTech2002
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I see the areo options, but they are all grayed out.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Something for sure is not set up correctly then -

Are your VMs HWv8?

What graphics driver do you have installed?

WP

0 Kudos
ITTech2002
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Optimization script did disable areo...  So I set these two services below to automatic, restarted, and areo is working fine now.

I also remed these two lines from the optimation script.

REM Powershell Set-Service 'UxSms' -startuptype "disabled"
REM Powershell Set-Service 'Themes' -startuptype "disabled"

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Perfect!

WP

0 Kudos