VMware Horizon Community
Ken_Regier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View 4.x to View 5 upgrade/migration

I'm in the process of upgrading from esx4.0 to esxi5 and have everything done except for one of our esx servers that's still hosting my vCenter 4/View Connection/View desktop environment.

I was hoping to be able to upgrade the View Connection server to 5.0, add the new vCenter 5 server to its configuration, and change the vCenter server setting of the desktop pool so I wouldn't lose any of the user specific data.  But from my initial testing it doesn't look like I'll be able to do this, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can upgrade/migrate without losing the user data.

Thanks,

Ken

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check out this blog post, http://communities.vmware.com/people/skg/blog/2011/01/01/moving-svi-pool-across-vcenter-server-keepi....     Make sure you read the comments because a version change affected the steps but it's definitley doable.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you give us some information on your pool setup?  Are you using a floating pool or full desktop pool and what kind of profile solution have you implemented?   

So your creating a new vCenter server and not upgrading a previous server? 

0 Kudos
Ken_Regier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's a linked clone pool, and the desktops are dedicated.  The vSphere 5 environment is on a new vcenter server, I couldn't upgrade the old one as it was a 32 bit OS.

A bit of an update, I've got the View Connect server upgraded to 5.01 and it's communicating well with the 4.0 and 5 vCenter servers.  I've got a new pool set up on the v5 side of things and in doing so I think I've answered my question.  I think partly due to the fact that the desktops are dedicated, but mostly because I can't change the vCenter server that's assigned to the pool it looks like I'll have to treat migrating the users as I would with a physical desktop.

But I welcome any further input.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are correct in the fact that once the pool is created you can't switch it to another vCenter so a new pool must be created.   If you are using persistent disk with the linked clone dedicated pool you can get away without having to migrate data like a physical PC but if your not using persistent disk you would have to backup and restore the data. 

0 Kudos
Ken_Regier
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are using persistent disk(s).  So I can just detach it from one system and attach it to another then?  I'll have to give that a try.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check out this blog post, http://communities.vmware.com/people/skg/blog/2011/01/01/moving-svi-pool-across-vcenter-server-keepi....     Make sure you read the comments because a version change affected the steps but it's definitley doable.  

0 Kudos