VMware Horizon Community
jspot
Contributor
Contributor

View 4 wan client pcoip

I'm trying to get the view client to work with pciop outside our network. It will work only if I use a vpn client whereas RDP works without it.

I'm trying to determine if it's a firewall / router issue or if the pcoip client does not include it's own secure connection like the RDP client does. When I run the pcoip client without vpn, it will start and act like it is connecting to the desktop, but then the screen disappears. I currently do not have a security server and these ports are open on the view server.

tcp 80

tcp 443

tcp 4001

tcp, udp 50002

Are there any additional ports I need?

I've seen in other posts that 32111 may be needed.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

PCoIP will not work with the tunnel mode or Security Server, you need a direct connection from the client to the desktop on TCP/UDP 50002

A VPN-client is the way to go to allow remote users to use PCoIP.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
mherges
Contributor
Contributor

Hey jspot,

I've been working on my View 4 upgrade for a few weeks now and finally was able to get to trying PCoIP from outside our Firewall and found I had similar issues as you. Despite Linjo's very nice response I feel that VMware has really dropped the ball on this. I don't think that it was a very good idea to force users to use 2 protocols to use PCoIP outside of a firewall, further more I don't see it well documented that this is the case. I didn't find out until I used TCP view on an external connection attempt that PCoIP isn't NAT aware. I've attached a screenshot, and as you can see the remote host of the 50002 port connection is the IP of the vm they are trying to connect to, however, it's an internal IP. So at this point, PCoIP by it's self, as wonderful as it is, can only be used in a LAN, despite verbiage otherwise. That verbiage being from this document "http://vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-View4-PCoIP-IG-EN.pdf" talking about its low bandwidth low latency characteristics. An article in which the acronym "VPN" isn't even mentioned in. So, say good bye to single sign on..... As if you couldn't already tell, I think a VPN is a very poor way to execute PCoIP. Let's create even more network over head, instead of just making it secure from the get go.....not! Smiley Happy Just to be clear, I love PCoIP, just not the remote/external process of using it.

0 Kudos
mherges
Contributor
Contributor

I just found out from a friend that attended a local confrence, at which, VMware had a booth. They said that their are plans to release an update sometime in Q1 of 2010 for View 4 that would include the ability for PCoIP to traverse NAT firewalls without an issue.

Very good news Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
AdamG53
Contributor
Contributor

PCoIP is certainly a great display protocol. However in some scenarios of slow remote connections (like over certain WANs) there may be issues where PCoIP doesn't function quite as well. In those cases, you can complement the VMware View deployment with Ericom Blaze, a software-based RDP acceleration and compression product that provides improved performance over WANs. Besides delivering higher frame rates and reducing screen freezes and choppiness, Blaze accelerates RDP performance by up to 10-25 times, while significantly reducing network bandwidth consumption over low-bandwidth/high latency connections.

You can use VMware View with PCoIP for your LAN and fast WAN users, and at the same time use VMware View with Blaze over RDP for your slow WAN users. This combined solution can provide enhanced performance in both types of environments, letting you get the best out of VMware View for your users.

Read more about Blaze and download a free evaluation at:

http://www.ericom.com/ericom_blaze.asp

Adam

0 Kudos