VMware Horizon Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View 4 hardware thin client support PCoIP

if my thin client is windows-os based, there's no trouble when we upgrade to view 4. but what if my thin client is thin-os, like wyse S10? should i replace it with a new model like P20, or vendor will provide a new firmware?

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
christoph_wegen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Dingding,

You can still use your existing endpoint hardware after and upgrade from View 3 to View 4, as RDP is still available as a graphics remoting protocol in View 4.

If you however want to upgrade to PCoIP, then you will need to worry about your endpoint hardware.

For software PCoIP, you can use the VMware View 4 Client for Windows, which should run on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. (And maybe even Windows XP Embedded)

If you want to use your Wyse devices with PCoIP, you will have to wait for Wyse to provide updated models. The P20 is the only model that Wyse has announced so far. Wyse will also in the future support PCoIP on Thin OS.

Here's a announcement from Wyse regarding PCoIP:

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20091110005514&newsLang=e...

Christoph Wegener

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
larstr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

PCoIP seem to require a bit from the hw side of the thin clients and what was showcased of thin client software implementations at VMworld was not impressive. Wyse did however show a new box with hw implementation of PCoIP which was very impressive (showing full HD video on a big TV screen at the Teradici boot).

Lars

dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok, just wait the GA of view 4.

0 Kudos
christoph_wegen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Dingding,

You can still use your existing endpoint hardware after and upgrade from View 3 to View 4, as RDP is still available as a graphics remoting protocol in View 4.

If you however want to upgrade to PCoIP, then you will need to worry about your endpoint hardware.

For software PCoIP, you can use the VMware View 4 Client for Windows, which should run on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. (And maybe even Windows XP Embedded)

If you want to use your Wyse devices with PCoIP, you will have to wait for Wyse to provide updated models. The P20 is the only model that Wyse has announced so far. Wyse will also in the future support PCoIP on Thin OS.

Here's a announcement from Wyse regarding PCoIP:

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20091110005514&newsLang=e...

Christoph Wegener

0 Kudos
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i'm kooking forward to the new firmware of thinos supporting PCoIP

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am also waiting for Wyse to support PCoIP natively on WTOS. I deployed about 100 virtual desktops - S10 + RDP, not really happy with RDP performance – had to lock the color depth to 15/16 bit for better performance. Wyse should get their act together and release supported firmware code asap...

0 Kudos