VMware Horizon Community
firewall68
Contributor
Contributor

View 4 and Windows 7

hello there,

has anyone tried windows 7 ??

we tried it and became a lot of error messages.

anyone successful ?

thx

mike

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I got Windows 7 on View4 up and running...

What errors do you get?

Could you give some more details about your setup?

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
firewall68
Contributor
Contributor

hello linjo,

thx 4 fast reply,

what we done,

install windows 7 with all applications.

sysprep windows 7 with ms tool (standard system32/sysprep)

stop machine make snapshot.

configure pool / automated / persostent / link clone/ pool settings by def / vmnameing patter

master image + SN / rest by def.

some screenshots (sorry german version)

have more screenshots if needed.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Did you install the agent in your master image? (Did not see that step)

Can you register your Master Image as a individual desktop?

You should not do the sysprep-part if you are using linked clones.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
firewall68
Contributor
Contributor

agents ? you mean vmware tools right ?. the tools are installed.

no sysprep ? mhm ok sounds new. at windows sp3 we did it and it works fine.

i didnt try the individual desktop.

but now i will try thanks 4 help

thx

mike

firewall68

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

With agent I mean the VMware View Agent, this is the component that talks to the View Manager.

This needs to be installed after the VMware Tools.

Best regards,

Linjo

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

With Windows 7 I've also found it helpful to turn off all the sleep settings at the Active Directory level. Check out this link for details:

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

VMware specifically states that on Windows 7 and Windows 2008 you don't use sysprep for template creation, based on your screenshots I'd say that's your issue.

If you didn't install the Agent, I highly recommend reading the attached manual, because you are skipping vital steps.

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
Chhavi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am facing some issues with my Windows7 template as well.

I installed it with the ISO files & it was working fine until I installed some software on it to give it Amdocs (my company) image.

This is because I cloned a VDI machine with the clean win 7 template & it still works but after the software installation

if I clone it to create another VDI I get different errors. Majorly issues while loging in & it restarts automatically at times & gives the attached error.

I have the agent 7 the tools installed. Do not have sysprep or unattended.xml

The template works fine, if I switch it on & login.

We have more requests for Win 7 VDI now so am stuck.. I am thinking of creating a new Win7 template but i wouls still have to install the applications.

Error for login issue on win7: network logon service was not started

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Did you change the name of your new clone?

Best regards,

Linjo

0 Kudos
Chhavi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes Linjo I did..

I also changed the name of the template to a very simple name as I read issues with the naming convention on Win 7.

It helped could get to the logon screen of one clone, couldn't login because of the network error though.

The second clone had the same issue still with the new name, the one that is attached.

0 Kudos
Chhavi
Contributor
Contributor

Template is perfect.. working fine but after cloning I get lots of issues from stating the OS to logging in.

Do you think it can be because of one of those installed software??

I have now created another clean installation of Win7, I'll clone it & check.

0 Kudos