VMware Horizon Community
vgracanin
Contributor
Contributor

View 4 - Printers after recompose

Hi,

I've been testing View 4 for a while now, and have a problem when recomposing automated pool with a new snapshot.The user data is saved on a D drive, and that stays persistant, while connected printers I installed are deleted. I'm still testing this with pcoip view client on a pc. Is this a problem using also a thinclient?

We'll probably buy and use Wyse S10 for LAN enviroment with RDP, and buy some pcoip eneabled client for WAN use.We talked to Wyse and they sad the V10L will have pcoip support in a near future, and the S10 wont. Is it the problem with hardware requirements or just the company policy; because both have basically the same OS (WTOS).

Thanks

VG

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

The thinclients will probably have the same issue.

Maybe a solution would be to install the printers in the base image?

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
vgracanin
Contributor
Contributor

No, I'm afraid that is not the option. I will have minimum 200 users per pool and printing is very, if not the most, important feature. I tought slipstreaming the drivers into a bese image could resolve the problem, but we have a lot of network printers that have to be installed manually.

RDP protocol has automatic redirection of printers which is a god thing, but again network printers and users on WAN enviroment would have a problem with RDP.

0 Kudos
soichiro
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever find a solution for this?

0 Kudos
vgracanin
Contributor
Contributor

No, I did not found any practical solution. Even with a ThinPrint redirecting my printers on machines where I used software client , the print did not worked correctly (printing from our oracle reports application), so I had to install them manualy.

For now I don't recompose, and use ThinApp for any additional apps that I might need. I see this as a big problem in the future since it's just a matter of time when I will have to change something in the base image.

0 Kudos