VMware Horizon Community
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert

View 4.6 in a decentralized setup

Has anyone out there set up view is a decentralized fashion?   We have our large main office and do plan to deploy view at some point.  But, we also have a large number of remote office.  The small office with 2-3 workers can come in over the wan to access their desktops.

My problem is the offices with 15+ user with the limited bandwidth. They have a T1 that is always runnin g at 80%+ during working hours.  I'm thinking of deploying a view server out to them and having the desktops hosted locally at the remote office.

It is impossible to afford any real shared storage device for these offices and was looking of deploy a corerctly sized server at the site with DAS.  The server would be speced out to be able to handle the iops and load generated by the users.

Has anyone done this or thought about this?

1) What have you done?

2) How do you take care of backing up user data?

For this I was thinking of some type of profile mgmt. like Profile Unity. but would like to hear anything else out there.

3) Is there another solution?

4) How easy is it to manage?

Any thought on this would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Larry B

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

We don't have a de centralized setup but wanted to throw out another option.    I think Local Mode could be utilized here in some aspect.  Once the VM was copied down it would be as if they were working local.     Also keep in mind that it's recommended to not have View Connection servers replicating over a WAN so you would be looking at separate View environment for each office.   Not sure how many remote offices you have but it could be painful to administer.

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert

I have given that some thought as well about having the connection servers at the local sites.  It's roughly about 20+ sites all with about 15 people each.   My biggest painpoint is bandwidth.  It ranges from 512Kbps to 1.54Mbps. So sharing a T1 for RDP or PCoIP and have a decent experience over the work day is not a reality as of yet.

I get VDI.  I know the benefits it can provide the organization.  I want to implement it, but am looking for the total all encompassing solution. 

IT would be cool if you had multiple connection servers and multiple desktops and you can link the two together.  For instance a user has 3 desktops the user can connect too.  Each desktop can be linked to a connection server location.

When a user conects to the main connection server and selects a desktop, the user can be redirected to the connection server linked to the pool or desktop.  It can pass the auth info and connect right up.

I don't know.   It's just so close.  I gues i'm looking for the holy grail of vdi and have just found some fragments.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Larry

0 Kudos