VMware Horizon Community
ml3000
Contributor
Contributor

View 4.6 - Want to move parent image of linked clones to new host

Hello,

I am curious how do i go about moving the parent image to all of our linked clones to a new host. Is this possible? And is it possible without destroying all the view clients we have connected. Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Hi and welcome .. you could use vmware convert to import it into a new host.

0 Kudos
ml3000
Contributor
Contributor

wont this mess with the view clients already connected to view? how do i repoint to the new parent image?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

with vmware converter it would be clone an image (instead of moving) to a new host. then follow by usual step as like creating snapshot and making it ready to be picked up as a golden template for linked clone cloning ..

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Once the linked clones are deployed they have no relationship with the parent image.   The linked clones are tied to the replica which is based off the parent image.   The only time the image comes into play is when you have to create a new replica based on that image.   You should be able to move the parent image to another host without any issues.   Now I wouldn't attempt to move the storage location of the parent image while it has snapshots on it.

This would all have to be within the same vCenter.  

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How do you vmotion a replica vm? I need to put the host that the replica is on into maintenence mode. I've vmotioned all of the vm's off the host but the replica does not allow me to migrate (option is greyed out). Is this done via View Manager?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If you choose to evacuate powered off guest when placing the host in maintenance mode it should move the replicas

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That worked! Thanks

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Now that the replica has been evacuated to another host (maintenence mode), how do I get the replica back to it's original host - or does it matter which host it's located? Is there anything from within View Manager that I can do?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

It doesn't matter where it's stored as long as the clones have visibility to it. 

0 Kudos