VMware Horizon Community
sdm2841
Contributor
Contributor

View 4.6 Upgrade

The View 4.6 upgrade guide states that to upgrade connection servers in a replicated group that I need to upgrade the "standard, or first, server instance" before doing the others. I'd like to move this to a Win 2008 x64 server so I've added another connection server to my replicated group with this OS and View 4.5 installed so that I now have 3 View 4.5 connection servers (1 using RSA security for remote access,1 using the standard secure tunnel connection for internal access, and 1 to use as a swing server for upgrading the internal server). My question is can I upgrade this new server to 4.6 then decommision my old 4.5 servers or do I truly have to upgrade the first connection server in my envrionment to 4.6 first?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I remember discussing this scenario with someone and if memory serves correct the last connection broker installed because the standard server.  From this information you should be able to upgrade the last broker and then decommission the other two.  

I have never tested this though and it's definitely in my plans as all of my connection servers are 2003 and I took will be moving to 2008.   It would be nice if maybe a VMware employee could validate this for us.

0 Kudos
SDO1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

theoretically that would work fine, i say theoretically as i havent testet it, but a replica just means that it should be set up as another server - when its installed all connection servers in a pool are equal.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Your suggested method will work fine, no real reason for the "first" broker to be upgraded first.

Once the first replica is installed there are actually no "first" and "replica" anymore, they are all replicating to each other.

I think the guides will be updated for the next release.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
sdm2841
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the input. I contacted VMware support and got the following response.

"Thank you for your Support Request.

I just spoke with one of our engineers here regarding your question. There is no need to upgrade the standard server before upgrading the other servers. Your plan to upgrade your 4.5 64-bit replica is actually the best plan in your case. There should be no problems with this implementation, and our documents should be changed with the next release of View."

0 Kudos