VMware Horizon Community
Petrucci914
Contributor
Contributor

View 4.6 - Link Clones Pool stuck at 'Customizing'

Hello,

We have View 4.6.  I have created several Link Clones Pools running Windows XP.  There is one pool where I keep running into issues.  I initially created it for 16 desktops.  It would deploy all of them, I'd see all the accounts created in AD, but many of the desktops would stay at 'customizing.'  When I would open up their console it would be at the beginning of the Windows XP Setup Screen.  But other desktops in the pool created just fine and worked perfectly.  I have other pools using the same Sysprep file and those are created fine.  I've tried creating the pool with lesser desktops and I still have the issue.  I've also tried re-creating the Master Image Snapshot on which it is based but nothing has changed.  After they eventually error out I'll delete them so that it re-creates them and sometimes it creates more successfully but there are always a few that fail.  This pool was created successfully before so I'm not sure why it is causing issues now.....

Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
35 Replies
90210red
Contributor
Contributor

Yes we encountered the same problem. For us it was one of the hosts in the cluster reported a DRS problem which halted the recompose. Once the error had cleared the "problem VM's could be rebooted and continued.

The DRS error was due to patches applied to some but not all of the hosts.

Suggest you attemept to recompose again and when it stops check the status of each host to ensure you don't have any errors.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Hi,

can you share the logs from connection server and one of the failed desktops?

-noble

-nObLe
0 Kudos
Petrucci914
Contributor
Contributor

Can you explain where I can get all of those logs?  I'm new to the whole vCenter/vSphere/ESX stuff.  I'm just a desktop guy getting into the VIEW stuff.  Thanks!

I have contacted support and am working on testing stuff for them.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Please go through this KB 1017939

Collecting diagnostic information for VMware View

-noble

-nObLe
0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i came across this same behavior after upgrading from 4.5 to 4.6.  i originally thought it had something to do with the upgrade but it turned out that it was unrelated. i had an nfs datastore that was only present on one of the hosts in my esxi cluster. after removing the nfs datastore everything worked as expected.  so make sure that every host in your cluster has the EXACT SAME datastores present otherwise view composer will have issues.

hope that helps.

cheers.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I guess "MS-Student-XP1" is one of those VMs which went to customization timedout state.

It could be a configuration problem with master snapshot or vSphere environment

Can you share the failed Agent machines logs?

2011-04-15 16:40:40,644 DEBUG <ReconfigOperation-cn=334dc84d-6a5e-4975-8f3a-1c10f31a8ce2,ou=servers,dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int> [SDMessageManager] finished waiting, was waiting for 2000ms

2011-04-15 16:40:41,786 DEBUG <VirtualCenterDriver-4d184f30-37f2-405c-b8ed-e7aeb096e012> [VirtualCenterDriver] VM: MS-Student-XP1 timed out in customization state. In Customization state for 7233468 msecs and in powered-on state for 7228227 msecs

2011-04-15 16:40:41,786 DEBUG <VirtualCenterDriver-4d184f30-37f2-405c-b8ed-e7aeb096e012> [EventLogger] Info_Event:[BROKER_PROVISIONING_ERROR_VM_CUSTOMIZATION_TIMEOUT] "Provisioning error occurred for Machine MS-Student-XP1: Customization operation timed out": Source=com.vmware.vdi.desktoptracker.VmInformation, Time=Fri Apr 15 16:40:41 CDT 2011, Severity=ERROR, Node=view1.pulaski.k12.wi.local, MachineName=MS-Student-XP1, MachineId=ccb66d2f-1724-4269-8806-619996e9ffca, Module=Broker, Acknowledged=true

2011-04-15 16:40:41,787 DEBUG <VirtualCenterDriver-4d184f30-37f2-405c-b8ed-e7aeb096e012> [VmInformation] ::Updating VM state /Pulaski/vm/VIEW/4. Production/PCMS-Student-XP/MS-Student-XP1 ERROR ERROR: 4/15/11 4:40:41 PM CDT: Customization operation timed out

2011-04-15 16:40:41,788 DEBUG <VirtualCenterDriver-4d184f30-37f2-405c-b8ed-e7aeb096e012> [VmInformation] Re-setting inCustomization counters. VM state changed.

2011-04-15 16:40:41,795 DEBUG <VirtualCenterDriver-4d184f30-37f2-405c-b8ed-e7aeb096e012> [VmInformation] Updated VM state /Pulaski/vm/VIEW/4. Production/PCMS-Student-XP/MS-Student-XP1 ERROR

2011-04-15 16:40:41,796 DEBUG <3208> [ws_ldap] LDAP Notify Service notification sent LDAP_NOTIFY_CAT_SERVER_CONF (Servers), LDAP_NOTIFY_TYPE_ADD_MODIFY, CN=ccb66d2f-1724-4269-8806-619996e9ffca,OU=Servers,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int.

2011-04-15 16:40:41,797 DEBUG <VirtualCenterDriver-4d184f30-37f2-405c-b8ed-e7aeb096e012> [VirtualCenterDriver] VM: MS-Student-XP1 timed out in customization state

2011-04-15 16:40:41,798 DEBUG <VirtualCenterDriver-4d184f30-37f2-405c-b8ed-e7aeb096e012> [EventLogger] Info_Event:[BROKER_PROVISIONING_ERROR_VM_CUSTOMIZATION_TIMEOUT] "Provisioning error occurred for Machine MS-Student-XP1: Customization operation timed out": Source=com.vmware.vdi.desktoptracker.VmInformation, Time=Fri Apr 15 16:40:41 CDT 2011, Severity=ERROR, Node=view1.pulaski.k12.wi.local, MachineName=MS-Student-XP1, MachineId=ccb66d2f-1724-4269-8806-619996e9ffca, Module=Broker, Acknowledged=true

2011-04-15 16:40:41,799 DEBUG <VirtualCenterDriver-4d184f30-37f2-405c-b8ed-e7aeb096e012> [VmInformation] ::Updating VM state /Pulaski/vm/VIEW/4. Production/PCMS-Student-XP/MS-Student-XP1 ERROR ERROR: 4/15/11 4:40:41 PM CDT: Customization operation timed out

2011-04-15 16:40:41,802 DEBUG <VirtualCenterDriver-4d184f30-37f2-405c-b8ed-e7aeb096e012> [VmInformation] Updated VM state /Pulaski/vm/VIEW/4. Production/PCMS-Student-XP/MS-Student-XP1 ERROR

-nObLe
0 Kudos
Petrucci914
Contributor
Contributor

I have the get that from the actual failed VMs, correct?  I can't do that if it doesn't even boot to the OS.......or am I missing something?

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

oh! i forgot the VM doesn't even get deployed completely.

I think its less likely to be a View problem. Once the provisioning is scheduled in vc by view, cloning progress in vc will be monitored by view and then it waits for the view agent to contact connection server after customization.In your case the vms get cloned but the customization part is failing for few of them.

I have few question

check if this occurs always for VMs running in a certain esx host/s?

At what point is xp installation stuck If you open console of these failed vms? is it same for all failed vms?

Is these installations continue can be continued manually?

Do you have any license limitations to power-on the vms in vc?

-noble

-nObLe
0 Kudos
acjuelich
Contributor
Contributor

1. We only have VIEW set up on one ESX Host.

2. They all get stuck at the "Welcome to the Windows XP Setup Wizard"

3. I can manually continue through, although I never went completely through it as it was an undesired behavior

4.  We have 70 licenses so far but only 7 are in use currently.

I know someone wanted me to try it with QuickPrep instead but I have no idea how to use that.  Is there a walkthrough somewhere explaining how to create the scripts for that?

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

You don't need any scripts fro quickprep, While creating a pool select quickprep customization instead of sysprep. Also make sure you have selceted a correct domain/account on the same page of pool wizard.

It may be a resource crunch in this single esx which forces xp vms to be stuck at setup screen. what is your servers configuration? How many vms are running on this server including View?

-nObLe
0 Kudos
acjuelich
Contributor
Contributor

The Pool is created just fine using QuickPrep, so it is having an issue with Sysprep  But, the thing is, I have other Pools that were created just fine using the same Sysprep Wizard.  What do I do from here?  Am I supposed to run Sysprep on the VM prior to using it as a Pool Reference?  For instance, on typical desktops you run Sysprep on a machine and then it shuts down the machine, then you use that as your image.  I didn't see any reference to doing that in VIEW.

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

All you should need for sysprep is to load the correct version of the sysprep files in your virtual center and create a customization specification. After that you should be good. Virtual center will run sysprep when each new VM is created so you do not need to start the image with sysprep primed. All you should need to do is shutdown your master image, shut it down and then snapshot it. Once these steps are done then you should be good. Also, I have found that it is a good idea to first release your IP address on the master image before shutting it down and doing the snapshot for your pool. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
cmacmillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Assuming this issue has not been resolved... If there is no record in DNS, can you confirm that the stalled VM actually has an IP address (not a self-assignment address) - i.e. as seen from VMware tools report to vCenter or local console login? If self-assignment or no address, check the scope reservations for unreleased assignments. Are the failing VMs specific to a single host or spread equally through the cluster?

Collin C. MacMillan, VCP4/VCP5 VCAP-DCD4 Cisco CCNA/CCNP, Nexenta CNE VMware vExpert 2010-2012 SOLORI - Solution Oriented, LLC http://blog.solori.net If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
VirtualVinc
Contributor
Contributor

If you domain controler is Win2008/Win2008 R2,  I found this link that addressed the same issue:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102816...

Here's the info you need from the link:

This issue is caused by the default behavior of a Windows Server  2008/2008 R2 domain controller. In the default domain group side, there  are NETLOGON service settings and the default is to prohibit the use of  older versions of encryption protocol to connect.

To resolve this issue, allow the use of older encryption protocols:

Log into your Active Directory (AD) domain controller. Launch the Group  Policy Management console: go to Start > Run and enter gpmc.msc.
     Edit the Default Domain Controller Policy. Go to Default Domain  Controller Policy > Computer Configuration > Policies >  Administrative Templates > System > Net Logon. Enable Allow  cryptography algorithms compatible with Windows NT 4.0.
    Exit the Group Policy Management console.
    Open a command prompt.
    Enter gpupdate /force. This updates the group policies applied to this computer.
    Take a snapshot of the parent virtual machine and create the linked-clone desktop pool again.

For  more information regarding the NETLOGON service and Windows NT 4.0  Cryptography algorithms, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article  942564.

Hope this helps,  It took me a while to locate it.

Pete

0 Kudos
Koppihle
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue with XP images it was firewall related. See thread below:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/309203

0 Kudos
PeteLong
Contributor
Contributor

Had this problem with View 5 ths week, Here's some more information that might be helpfull,

Pete
0 Kudos