VMware Horizon Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

View 4.6 - Correct way to delete local profiles from persistent disk?

Hey All,

I have a user that has a screwed up local profile on a Linked Clone VM with a persistent disk.

When they logon, they get a "Profile error, you have been logged on with a temporary profile."

On physical workstaitons, we simply log on through RDP, and then delete the files from C:\Users\username.

For View, we've tried these methods:

• Opening Computer Properties and deleting the profile
    • This worked (no errors), but the users' folder still was on the persistent disk (both in personalities, personalities,bak, and simply users)
  • Deleting the folder from the persistent disk (Drive\Users\username)
    • We got permissions errors, even with an admin account.
    • When the "Grant youself permissions" dialog box was presented to our admin account, the most it would grant is Read and List Folder Contents, and one other read-only type setting.  It would not grant modify or full control.

With the user profile in so many places, is there a best practice for how to delete the profile in View?

Thanks,

Drew

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If your goal is to delete the user's profile on the persistent disk, can you just delete the VM with that persistent disk associated? If the pool is set for dynamic assignment, the user should be able to log back in and get a new desktop with a clean persistent disk. If not, you could create a new desktop in that pool and manually assign the user to that, then ask them to log in when it finishes creating. Is there anything else on that persistent disk they need? If so, then you could try disconnecting the persistent disk, which will delete the VM it's attached to, then have them log into another VM, attach that persistent disk to it and copy the files they need to their new persistent disk, then detach the old one and get rid of it. I hope all of that makes some sense.

Dave

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Well, that would work, but it is a little overkill for this issue.  All I need to do is delete the local profile so that the user's roaming profile gets copied back down at the next login.  I am just looking to find out if there's anything special I need to do in a View environment when using persistent disks. 

thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos