VMware Horizon Community
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View 4.6 Composer Replicas exist after all pools deleted

I am clearning up my View environment before upgrading and was able to remove all my pools. The part I don't understand is why I still have replica-xxxxxx in vSphere after deleting all pools and all composer generated desktops

When I follow the instructions to find unused replica's in this kb article  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200984... the command

SviConfig.exe -operation=FindUnusedReplica -DsnName=<the name of the Composer database DSN> -Username=<the user name of Composer database owner> -Password=<the password of Composer database owner>

doesn't find any replica's that are unused.

Why would the replica's be considered in use when no pools exist?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Is it possible that there is still a refrence to a clone in the composer database?  

Camek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have seen this before on View 4.5....  Not sure why this happened but If I remember correct the way I cleaned this up was to power of all the connection/secuirty servers then reboot the ESXi server where the replica is living (making sure to turn off HA and DRS on cluster).   When it comes back up then you can browser to LUN where it lives and then delete.   

mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried this query on ADAM I used to find the desktop members that were preventing the pool from being deleted
(&(objectClass=pae-vm)(pae-displayname=replica-xxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx))

but it didn't return any results.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

It was a long shot because I didn't really think it would allow the pool to be deleted if it continued to reference desktops in the database.   Did you try the suggestion by Camek ?

0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't tried that yet but would http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100870... be a way to avoid having to take down ESX host

0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After help from vmware support we used the kb article 1008704 to unprotect the entities and delete the replicas from disk. There wasn't any changes to ADAM required in my case because I didn't have any pools or composer vm's to worry about. There wasn't any need to shutdown brokers or hosts

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Did they give any reason why the initial find unused replica command didn't show this replica as unused? 

0 Kudos
mobcdi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just that it can happen from time to time.

0 Kudos