VMware Horizon Community
kclinden
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View 4.6 Audio/Video Jitter

We are currently using View 4.6 in our lab and I am trying to troubleshoot some A/V jitter. I am using a Wyse P20 zero client to conenct to my Windows 7 virtual desktop. If there is some sort of audio playing and I scroll on a website it is no smooth and the audio will lag. Is this typical for PCoIP? My wyse connection is going to a 10/100 switch. From the switch it goes to the lab via GbE. Any information would be great.

Thanks

Kasey

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I would first recommend on moving to the latest version. (View 5)

Then have a look at the network, PCoIP will adapt according to the network conditions and try to deliver the best experience possible, look out for latency and dropped packets.

Have also a look at the optimization guides to tune the experience.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
royberk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ill second what Linjo said about View 5.0

Also, try to put the devices in their own VLAN. We had this issue as well and it looks like both the zero clients/View are very susceptible to broadcast traffic/ a lot of traffic.

If you can give us some more info, that would help a lot.

0 Kudos
kclinden
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Put the thin clients in their own VLAN?

I tried increasing the memory of the VM to 3GB because I was thinking that could be the issue no luck. Each VM now has 1vCPU, 3GB RAM and 128mb of video memory. I am using the Windows 7 Basic theme. Any type of info that you are specifically looking for?

The servers are:

ProLiant BL465c G7

AMD Opteron 6174 x2(12cores each)

64GB RAM

The host cpu, memory, and network utilization is minimal.

I also tested putting the view client on a thick client and accessing the VM, same issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AGratefulDad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This really does sound like a network issue - especially considering the hardware your VM's are running on.

Any possibility of getting a host network screenshot?

Cheers!

Twitter: @thevirtualguy
0 Kudos
kclinden
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

here you go.

0 Kudos
AGratefulDad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there...

Sorry, what I meant was a host network performance screenshot.

Be interest to see what network / disk / CPU and memory useage is at.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
kclinden
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Let me know if this works for you. Thanks for the help also.

0 Kudos
AGratefulDad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

Yes, that did help, any chance of getting a screenshot of your latency on your disk?

I am leaning towards a network issue right now but want to eliminate your disk as possibility.

My workstation is a Wyse P20 on View 4.6 connected to 10/100 switch on my desk in my office and it runs flawlessly for video, audio and streaming media - so I know this setup does work.

How many devices are connected to your 10/100 switch? Is it a GigE uplink to your core switch? What are your sesion stats showing you for min./max and average response times?

What type of thin client / zero client or desktop are you running?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AGratefulDad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just got off the phone with a friend who's company runs a very similar setup on the G7's.

Apparently, there were all kinds of problems with the NIC firmware on the BL G7 series, can you confirm that all of these are up to date?

Let me know.

0 Kudos
kclinden
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

looking into it...

0 Kudos
kclinden
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We probably have 10 devices hooked up to the 10/100 swith but maybe 5 active at any time. We are also using Wyse P20 thin clients with the latest firmware. Disk is very minimal also. The 10/100 switch is using GigE to the core.The disk response times are from 0-2.5ms.

0 Kudos
wallakyl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FWIW, we are seeing similar performance problems with G7 servers, though not with View. I am aware of the problems with the G7 firmware/drivers, mine are up to date. With the 4.0.360.15 version of firmware, I see high latency to NFS datastores.

HP 460c G7

Emulex CNA NC553i

driver: be2net

version: 4.0.355.1

firmware-version: 4.0.360.15

10GE connectivty (with jumbos) to NFS datastores.

I am seeing latency averages of 50ms or more with spikes around 400-500, sometimes evern worse. I back-rev'd the firmware on one of the blades to 3.104.281.0 and latency on that blade is much better with averages of 5ms or less and spikes in the 10-20ms range. The only difference between these two blades is the CNA firmware. I would just back-rev the firmware on all of the boxes, but the 3.104.281.0 version has actually been pulled from HP's site suggesting there are major problems with that version too.

I have a lot of G6s as well and do not have issues with those boxes.

I have a ticket open with HP, but nothing has come of it so far.

I don't know that this is related, but I thought I'd let you know about the problems I've seen in case it is related and this helps in any way.

0 Kudos