VMware Horizon Community
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View 4.5 windows 2003/8 servers support

Hi there!

My question is  about - why/how , or for what purpose, these OS are supporting?

I mean, the Virtual machine under windows 2003/8 (terminal server) with view agent can't be add to pool... So - how to use such virtual machine in View 4.5 environment?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

search compatibility in guide http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view45_installation_guide.pdf

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You can't use a server OS for View unless it has Terminal Services installed.   Other than TS the only way they are supported is if you are using them as your View connection server, etc.  

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

You cannot create Manual pools using 2k3 or 2k8 machines installed with agent. These are supported only as 'terminal server' sources.

They can be either installed on VMs or physical machines.

-nObLe
0 Kudos
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

possible I made bad description for my question or may be I don't understand the answer even now (^_^) sorry.

But, the view agent support on  two server's OS - windows 2003 and 2008 with terminal server role.

If I create virtual machine with one of these two OS (terminal service role enabled) - then for what purpose I can install view agent on this server?

Can I create 'Terminal services Pool' and add such virtual machine into it or not?

especially, what the view agent configuration on windows 2003/8 servers a little-bit different than view agent on xp/vista/7...

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Yes you can create Terminal server pools. Once you install agent on 2k3/2k8 machine giving appropriate connection broker details, these machines will be listed under View configuration-> Registerd Desktop Sources. You will be able to select these machines as source if you select 'Termninal Services Pool' type.

see View4.5 Admin Guide page 96 for details on how to do this.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

-Noble

-nObLe
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I check it all already, and check again; but the 'Registered Desktop sources' is empty... and I can't see my virtual machine with windows 2008 r2 (with Terminal service role enabled) when I trying to create Terminal services pool...

I thought what it's not supported, but now I'm thinking what I made mistake somewhere...

Hi,

I check it all already, and check again; but thethe  'Registered Desktop sources' is empty... and I can't see my virtual  machine with windows 2008 r2 (with Terminal service role enabled) when I  trying to create Terminal services pool...

I thought what it's not supported, but now I'm thinking what I made mistake somewhere...

--

little question - is it necessary to add virtual machine (with windows server OS and enabled 'Terminal service role') to domain where the connection server exist? or it can exist just in it's own workgroup?

Message was edited by: Nemo7777

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Hi,

>I can't see my virtual machine with windows 2008 r2 (with Terminal   service role enabled) when I trying to create Terminal services pool...

Please make sure you have View agent installed on your terminal servers, 2008 and 2003 machines won't be listed under Registred Desktop sources just because they are VMs in vCenter and Terminal Service is enabled.

Once you install View agent on 2003/2008 machines, they will be listed as "Terminal Services Sources" under "Registered Desktop Sources". only then you can select and use these machines during pool creation.

I just installed view agent on two 2008R2 Ent machines (one with  firewall On and Another one with OFF), both of them are listed under  Registered Desktop Sources.

Here is what you need to do.

1. Create 2k3/2k8 machines (VMs or Physical machines) and enable Terminal Server role

2. Start installation of View agent on these machines, during installation you'll be prompted to give connection server address and credentials to join, provide these and finish installation and restarted machine when prompted.

3. Login to Admin UI and check under "Registered Desktop Sources", You will see these machines listed as Terminal Services Sources.

4. Go to Pools page,

Click on ADD,

Select Terminal Services Pool -> Provide ID, name and other details -> Select Pool settings  -> Select terminal Servers  (Here you'll see those 2003/2008 terminal servers previously installed with View Agent.) -> contiue and Finish pool creation.

5. Entitle Users and start using.

Regards

Noble

-nObLe
0 Kudos
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Noble,

sorry, but at step 3 I can't see anything in "Registered Desktop Sources". But, at this moment the terminal server still not in domain, where the View server exist. Is it necessary to add this teminal server  into same domain?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Any kind of firewall on the Terminal Server box blocking the agent communication?  Possibly the windows firewall is doing it?

0 Kudos
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no, firewall was disabled...

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

From the terminal server can you telnet to port 4001 on the connection broker?

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Can you mention the steps you performed in detail?

-nObLe
0 Kudos
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

unfortunately,  I have no access to my test environment now, because customer test it now (except Terminal option)

Hope I'll be there again and check all my steps again. Thank you all for your help, I'll write here again since the time when I'll return.

0 Kudos
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I'm very sorry for long response, but the view infrastructure was removed and the problem has gone awaySmiley Happy

0 Kudos