VMware Horizon Community
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View 4.5 client and HP Thinclient T5530

Hi,

Does anyone know how or where to get the View 4.5 client installed and working on HP T5530 thin clients? We have 4.0.1 client installed which connects to the 4.5 connection server OK but when you try and connect it says the connection protocol is unsupported - they are set to PCoIP.

On the compatibility list here, it says the T5530 is supported with 4.5 but I can't find anything on the web or on HP's product support page about updating the 4.5 client.

http://www.vmware.com.mx/resources/compatibility/pdf/vi_view_guide.pdf

If I try and download it (in administrator mode), it says there isn't enough room on the TC, though there is nothing more than standard installed.

Thanks

@timgleed | VCAP5-DCA/DCD | VCAP4-DCA/DCD | VCP5 | VCP4 | VCP3 | VCP4-DT | VCA4-DT | VTSP4 | MCITP | PRINCE2 | ITIL | BSc Hons
0 Kudos
11 Replies
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Vodder,

While the T5530 is compatible with View 4.5 it is not certified for View 4.5. This means that it can be used for connections but won't support PCoIP or have the View 4.5 client installed unless HP does decide to certify it for it.

I would call HP and ask what their plans are.

-Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mike,

I thought certified meant that VMware had fully tested a device and then rubber stamp it for use.

Compatible, to me, would be mean that it could/should work but hasn't been fully tested by VMware.

I presume then by what your saying that View 4.5 connection server only allows PCoIP connections with View 4.5 clients?

I'll see what HP comes back with but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere you can make your own packages to put on these Windows CE Thinclients but perhaps I'm muddling it with something else.

We have some later models which run Windows XP embedded and they allow us to downlaod the View 4.5 client and "commit" to memory thus allowing PCoIP connections.

Cheers

Tim

@timgleed | VCAP5-DCA/DCD | VCAP4-DCA/DCD | VCP5 | VCP4 | VCP3 | VCP4-DT | VCA4-DT | VTSP4 | MCITP | PRINCE2 | ITIL | BSc Hons
0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sort of, yes. Certified means that it is fully tested and will work with that version no problem.

You should still be able to use your clients to establish RDP connections with your 4.5 desktops as we still fully support that. When the users connect with the client are they presented with an option to select PCoIP? Is the pool set to only allow PCoIP connections and deny RDP?

I am not sure how Windows CE works with the thin clients but it is possible that you can get a package for it.

-Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
theandyorr
Contributor
Contributor

Not to deviate from the subject of HP supporting PCoIP, but have you checked to ensure the RAMdisk is ramped up to 64MB or higher?

0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The pool is set for PCoIP only, we're ideally not wanting to use RDP anywhere if we can for the virtual desktops

0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good point! Not sure, I've never used these until since 3 days ago. Do you know how you check that or upgrade it save me googling it?

0 Kudos
theandyorr
Contributor
Contributor

Sure. Just log in as the admin account on the thinclient, go to Control Panel, and then HP RAMdisk. There's an easy slider bar to slide back and forth to constrict the RAM disk space. Be sure to make sure your EWF protection is off so your changes remain applied after rebooting. I hope that helps.

Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Awesome thanks! I'll give it a go

0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK that allowed me to download the client - I couldn't find EWF protection though,so naturally it is deleted on reboot

However Windows CE doesn't run the installer when you try and run it. Perhaps it doesnt have the correct windows installer version or you can only run HP packaged programs? Do you know if its possible to create these ourselves?

0 Kudos
JLRODRIGUEZ
Contributor
Contributor

PCoIP you could run Windows CE? as you did

0 Kudos
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The 4.0 client is/was the only one HP is releasing for this model. It works with View 4.6 but only with RDP. It also causes a timeout warning on each connection as the SSO does not work so the user has to log in twice, causing View to timeout the first connection.

0 Kudos