VMware Horizon Community
DDSoutheast
Contributor
Contributor

View 4.5 + Wyse Thin OS....password self service?

We have a demo unit in of the Wyse P20 zero client that uses Wyse Thin OS.  It works great and we are able to connect to our View desktops just like it says.  One of our hurdles though involves giving the users the ability to reset their network passwords in the event of a lockout, or if they forget it.  Currently on our XP desktops we use ScriptLogic's Password Self Service utility which basically is just an internal website that users access via IE.  It asks them a series of security questions that they setup initially and that's how they reset their password.

My problem is that the Wyse Thin OS does not have the ability to put any kind of Internet browser on the desktop of the thin client itself.  So....how do users access the password self service?  I am open to any other solutions out there, but so far I haven't found any that really work with Thin OS.  Most of them require you to install something to the OS (Windows, Mac, etc) which of course is not really possible in this case.  So what do you guys do for your users in a domain setting?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't have any P20's yet., although I was getting ready to demo one. I will have this same exact issue, so I'm very interested in seeing if its possible. I'm thinking we'll need one of the thin clients with embedded windows os

Sorry I didn't help

0 Kudos
DDSoutheast
Contributor
Contributor

Trust me you don't want to use thin clients with any version of XP embedded.  There are lots of headaches that I won't go into here.  I will say that we currently use Wyse V90LE's with XPe and we basically just made a customized desktop consisting of everything hidden accept for the View login and a IE shortcut going to our password self service site.  This works, but XPe is altogether unnecessary for our uses as the P20 is a much slimmer and CHEAPER device. 

Our thought right now is to create a virtual desktop that can be access via a generic username and login.  We'd have to make it not on the domain of course, and upon login they would have one single icon to click on...IE that takes them to our password site.  That would "work" but it's not ideal, hence the reason I'm hoping someone else has a more elegant solution here...

0 Kudos
PCoIPinsider
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To clarify, the Wyse P20 uses the TERA processor, no local OS or any other application software can be installed (no ThinOS either).

A possible approach might be to provide a secondary connection to a non-persistent VM which links to the self service utility.

Ian

0 Kudos
DDSoutheast
Contributor
Contributor

okay I feel like we are suggesting the same thing, but if not, please elaborate.  the secondary connection you mentioned...that's what I suggested in my post above, at least I think that's what you are saying.  but in case we aren't on the same page, if I understand you correctly the user would have a secondary connection to access a non-persistent desktop that contains the password site.  so how would the user access this "secondary connection"?  in short, the user is looking at the View login, but can't login because they are locked out.  what now?  do they login using a generic username and password that we designate as the "password reset login"?

0 Kudos
jburleigh
Contributor
Contributor

In that situation you would have a seperate desktop pool with one generic account that has the ability to reset the passwords.  For example, domain users is entitled to desktop pool VMReset with a user name of resetaccount and password.

Then the user can find his or her name and reset their domain account.

0 Kudos