VMware Horizon Community
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

View 4.5 & Windows 7 Licensing

Is KMS licensing needed for testing and proof of concept? I have tried it once and when provisioning I get activation errors. I don't have KMS keys yet as I am testing it all out. Should the system just skip activation and leave the machines with out activation?

Thanks in advance!

Larry B.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you don't have a KMS you can skip the activation-process with changing this regkey on the vCenter server:

HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/vmware-viewcomposer-ga/SkipLicenseActivation to '1'.

Of course the Win7 desktop will be in evaluation-mode until the eval-period expires but can be useful in a temporary setup or POC,

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tonstad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For composer deployment i think the answer with Quickprep is yes, you need a KMS server. The desktops are stuck with "customizing" in the status field of View Manager and eventuelly comes up with a license activation error. (as you point out)

Two things you can try:

1. Deploy without KMS and log on to each desktop after deployment and manually activate with a MAK key.

2. Try using SYSPREP instead of the default Quickprep, this procedure might support MAK.

Good luck,

Asbjorn

LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I tried the option to go in while customizing and activate the software. That works but a real pain in the rear.

I'll go ahead and try with sysprep.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you don't have a KMS you can skip the activation-process with changing this regkey on the vCenter server:

HKLM/system/CurrentControlSet/services/vmware-viewcomposer-ga/SkipLicenseActivation to '1'.

Of course the Win7 desktop will be in evaluation-mode until the eval-period expires but can be useful in a temporary setup or POC,

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is that in the documentation? You rock.. Thanks!

0 Kudos