VMware Horizon Community
Poort443
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View 4.5 True multimonitor with RDP7?

I'm reading this in the Admin guide on page 17: "Microsoft RDP provides the following features: You can use multiple monitors in span mode"

and this on page 21:

In a true multiple-monitor session, monitors can have different resolutions and sizes, and a monitor can be

pivoted. If you maximize an application window, the window expands to the full screen of only the monitor

that contains it.

This feature has the following limitations:

n The maximum number of monitors that you can use to display a View desktop is 10 if you use the RDP

display protocol and 4 if you use PCoIP.

n If you use Microsoft RDP display protocol, you must have Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection (RDC)

6.0 or higher installed in the View desktop.

I'm not completely sure if I'm reading this right, but it seems that true multimonitor is NOT available with RDP. Eventhough Windows 7 and the latest RDC have no problem with this at all. Can somebody confirm (or hopefully deny) that this is the case. I really prefer using RDP, but I need the true multimonitor.

Regards,

Poort443

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vaughnt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You need version 7 on the client you are connecting from. Version 7 comes with Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2. You can download version 7 for XP and Vista.

I wish the Mac version was up to 7 and I wish WYSE would upgrade their RDP to 7.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I think it depends on what version of RDP that is used on the client and the guest, if using Win7 on both sides then it will used RDP7, if WinXP > Win7 then it is RDP6.x (highest common version)

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
vaughnt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You need version 7 on the client you are connecting from. Version 7 comes with Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2. You can download version 7 for XP and Vista.

I wish the Mac version was up to 7 and I wish WYSE would upgrade their RDP to 7.

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Keep in mind that you can also upgrade the client's RDP version. See this blog page for information on what functionality is and isn't available: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/08/21/remote-desktop-connection-7-for-windows-7-windows-xp-...

0 Kudos