VMware Horizon Community
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View 4.5 Replication vs. Backup

I'm setting up a View 4.5 environment and I'm a little confused about what some of the features actually do.

I have a linked clone pool set up and I'm running a VM in local mode. I see the option to "request backup". Does this actually send the changes back to the original on the server?

Also, there's an option to Initiate Replication from within the View Administrator for a desktop. Is that the same as request backup?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ezzeldin72
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Replication:- vCenter Server version of the desktop is updated with changes from the local-mode desktop. The lock remains in place.

You can initiate replications for desktops that run in local mode. Your request can start a replication before the next scheduled replication. If the client policy allows it, an end user who has checked out a local desktop can also initiate a replication from within View Client.

If you initiate a replication while View Client with Local Mode is already replicating data, your replication starts after the previous replication is completed. Your pending request does not abort the previous replication

Request a Backup: the user can send the changes to the servers and the VM will remain locally.

Ezzeldin Hussein | MBA| VCAP-DCA/DCD | VCI Level II | VCP-DCV/DT/CMA/NX | VCA/VSP/VTSP | vExpert Team Lead, Systems Engineering, NALE | Member of CTO Ambassador Program.  Business Central Tower A, Dubai Internet City, Dubai, POB 500569 Mobile(EG): +20106 5533 950 Mobile(UAE): +971 56 9095 106 Mobile(OM): +968 9066 0533

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ezzeldin72
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Replication:- vCenter Server version of the desktop is updated with changes from the local-mode desktop. The lock remains in place.

You can initiate replications for desktops that run in local mode. Your request can start a replication before the next scheduled replication. If the client policy allows it, an end user who has checked out a local desktop can also initiate a replication from within View Client.

If you initiate a replication while View Client with Local Mode is already replicating data, your replication starts after the previous replication is completed. Your pending request does not abort the previous replication

Request a Backup: the user can send the changes to the servers and the VM will remain locally.

Ezzeldin Hussein | MBA| VCAP-DCA/DCD | VCI Level II | VCP-DCV/DT/CMA/NX | VCA/VSP/VTSP | vExpert Team Lead, Systems Engineering, NALE | Member of CTO Ambassador Program.  Business Central Tower A, Dubai Internet City, Dubai, POB 500569 Mobile(EG): +20106 5533 950 Mobile(UAE): +971 56 9095 106 Mobile(OM): +968 9066 0533
0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. Makes sense.

0 Kudos
ezzeldin72
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

you are welcome

Ezzeldin, VCI,VCP3,VCP4,VSP,VTSP

Kindly note, if your problem or question has been resolved, please mark the thread as answered and award points.

0 Kudos