VMware Horizon Community
dewan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View 4.5 Local Mode on a BYOC device

I have a challenge to implement view 4.5 Local mode on BYOC devices to access enterprise network, I'm bit confused in following areas of implementation:

- how would i install view client on a BYOC which is not a part of enterprise domain machine, as the view client need to talk to the connection server which is a part of enterprise domain. How do we create that trust between enterprise network and BYOC devices.

- if somehow, we can log on to a virtual desktop from a non domain pc (BYOC) then, how about access to the network resources like shared drive and live connections to enterprise applications that usually requires a vpn connection.

- or does it actually use any Internet connection to access network share to logon to the enterprise applications that requires enterprise network connection. i.e without VPN and if it requires VPN then the challenge is to install vpn on a BYOC pc, which will make this even more complex.

- does local mode actually allows you to access live network recourses with any internet connection i.e without vpn.

-can we copy a virtual desktop on a usb stick and place into a BYOC machine.

Regards,

Abi

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

-  how would i install view client on a BYOC which is not a part of  enterprise domain machine, as the view client need to talk to the  connection server which is a part of enterprise domain. How do we create  that trust between enterprise network and BYOC devices.

The Client machine need not be part of Domain. You can install View client on any machine and connect to Connection Server. While conecting, Connection server will send the list of available domains to client for users to login. Once logged in you can even check-out this desktop to your local machine provided local mode is enabled and setup.

-  if somehow, we can log on to a virtual desktop from a non domain pc  (BYOC) then, how about access to the network resources like shared drive  and live connections to enterprise applications that usually requires a  vpn connection.

Once you launch a View desktop using View client, the launched desktop is part of your domain and should be able to accesss all your resources depending on the domain credentials you provided to login to this desktop.

-  or does it actually use any Internet connection to access network share  to logon to the enterprise applications that requires enterprise  network connection. i.e without VPN and if it requires VPN then the  challenge is to install vpn on a BYOC pc, which will make this even more  complex.

same as above. One you are connected to View desktop you don't need VPN.

- does local mode actually allows you to access live network recourses with any internet connection i.e without vpn.

If you are working internally from corporate network then your local mode desktop will get an ip from the same series and will act as any other domain machine. If you are working from outside the corporate network, i believe you need to setup a VPN from inside the local (checkedout) desktop to your corporate network; similar to what you would do to connect your corporate laptop to company network from home.

I don't think this option is available now, you'll  have to connect to connection server and do a Check-out of your desktop.

Regards

Noble

-nObLe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

-  how would i install view client on a BYOC which is not a part of  enterprise domain machine, as the view client need to talk to the  connection server which is a part of enterprise domain. How do we create  that trust between enterprise network and BYOC devices.

The Client machine need not be part of Domain. You can install View client on any machine and connect to Connection Server. While conecting, Connection server will send the list of available domains to client for users to login. Once logged in you can even check-out this desktop to your local machine provided local mode is enabled and setup.

-  if somehow, we can log on to a virtual desktop from a non domain pc  (BYOC) then, how about access to the network resources like shared drive  and live connections to enterprise applications that usually requires a  vpn connection.

Once you launch a View desktop using View client, the launched desktop is part of your domain and should be able to accesss all your resources depending on the domain credentials you provided to login to this desktop.

-  or does it actually use any Internet connection to access network share  to logon to the enterprise applications that requires enterprise  network connection. i.e without VPN and if it requires VPN then the  challenge is to install vpn on a BYOC pc, which will make this even more  complex.

same as above. One you are connected to View desktop you don't need VPN.

If you are working internally from corporate network then your local mode desktop will get an ip from the same series and will act as any other domain machine. If you are working from outside the corporate network, i believe you need to setup a VPN from inside the local (checkedout) desktop to your corporate network; similar to what you would do to connect your corporate laptop to company network from home.

I don't think this option is available now, you'll  have to connect to connection server and do a Check-out of your desktop.

Regards

Noble

-nObLe
0 Kudos
dewan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Noble,

Thanks for the information.

I've done the implementation. Full points to you mate.

Regards,

Abi

0 Kudos
dewan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am unable to connect to vpn inside the local view 4.5 virtual desktop using home adsl connection on my BYOC machine, i can access internet from this view vm. however if i use usb based home internet connection then i am able to connect to the enterprise vpn as well as internet.

any suggestions

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is possible. Please see View4.5 Admin Guide Page 245 for detailed instruction on how to do this.

For VPN problem please changing your loaclmode Network type from NAT to bridged should solve the problem. see admin guide page 239 for how to do this.

Thanks

-Noble

-nObLe