VMware Horizon Community
retogobat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View 4.0 to 4.6 Update (Persistent Pool)

Hello

We plan to upgrade from View 4.0 to View 4.6. We have got several non-persistent Pools. There should not be a problem to update them. (Looked at the update Guide and is quite clear for me)

But we also got one persistent pool. On each persistent desktop there is several individual software installed. Therefore in the delta disk. (I know that is a really bad solution, and we plan to ThinApp these application, but not before the View 4.6 update)

So I am not able to recompose/refresh this persistent desktops (I will loose all the application). But I need to install the new View 4.6 Agent on these Desktops. Is it possible to touch every single desktop and not customizing the parent image?

If something with the update goes wrong, do I have a possibility to backup the data delta disk somehow?

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can take the backup of adam data  and restore the pool configuration for the same vCenter server configured .

You can also backup the userdata disk. But no way to backup the OS deslta disk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you are using full clone pool, you could have strait away upgrade the View agents.

For you case , it is linked clones. And to get the agent updated recompose is the proper method, which you want want to use.

You can either run the VMs as it is with legacy agents running in it , while the View Manager and other stuffs are latest one. But there are some draw backs in this case as you will not able to benefit from certain 6.6 features and UDD (User Data Disk) Management.

Directly upgrading the view agents on each clones is not not recommended.

So firstly upgrade all oher stuff except agents. You can make the pool live in that way without any issues. Then implement thinapp. Further you can recompose the pool to a new image whcih has the latest agent installed.

I would also recommend to go through the View Composer section at View 4.6 Release Notes

retogobat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Allright so I keep the View Agent 4.0 on the persistent pool and Upgrade Connection Server, Composer and the Client. And I will still be able to Connect and work with to the old 4.0 Clones running Agent 4.0? I am just unable to recompose or refresh the Pool?

But there is not a possibility to backup the clones?

Thanks for your fast reply!

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, you should have no problem connectiong to the 4.0 agents through a 4.6 client or a 4.6 connection broker.  I did this for quite some time until I was able to update all my pools.  

kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can take the backup of adam data  and restore the pool configuration for the same vCenter server configured .

You can also backup the userdata disk. But no way to backup the OS deslta disk

0 Kudos