VMware Horizon Community
Levi_Pingel
Contributor
Contributor

View 3 .print and Wyse V10L

I had installed the ThinPrint 7.0 .print engine on the XP guest and configured a Wyse V10L to connect to a VDM 2.0 server. The Wyse V10L has ThinPrint .print compatibility built in, so printers would autocreate. Now that VMware OEMed the ThinPrint 7.1 .print engine into the View Agent, I assume autocreation of printers would still work, but it doesn't. Does anyone know how to get Virtual Printing (ThinPrint .print) to work for View 3.0 using a Wyse V10L?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wes_baker
Contributor
Contributor

You will probably need upgrade your firmware on the V10L to play nice with the new code in View 3. There were several code changes in the way the Connection Servers communicate with these and some require the new code in the updated firmwares. I am not using thin print in my environment but this has been the case every time I've upgraded VDM or View to the latest release.

0 Kudos
tplazag
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I heard that view 3.0 includes a modified RDP client, therefore you would need to upgrade the firmware on your devices, from what I know, it should be 6.3.0_12, that includes this .print RDP client that will work with view 3. Im not sure if wyse has released it to the public yet.

0 Kudos
Levi_Pingel
Contributor
Contributor

My Wyse software version is currently at 6.2.0_08 so that could be the issue. I'm waiting for someone in my company to get back to me with the support information so that I can download the latest from Wyse. I will let you know if it resolves my issue.

0 Kudos
Levi_Pingel
Contributor
Contributor

I have updated the WYSE V10L system version to 6.3.0_12, but the VMware OEMed version of ThinPrint in View 3 still does not auto create the printer. I'm using the username.ini file on the FTP server to push the printer configuration to the V10L.

Printer=SMB1 \

LocalName=can3480a \

Host=\na\neen-prnt-001 \

Name=can3480a \

PrinterID="Canon iR C3080/3480/3580 PCL5c" \

Class=PCL5 \

0 Kudos
KFM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From what I understand from the ThinPrint compare features website (), it implies that if you want to enable printing from printers created on the V10L then you need to purchase the .print Engine for VMware View. AFAIK, the ThinPrint stuff that VMware OEMed only works when you're using the View client and NOT from a thin client.

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got the thin print working for remote and local users who use view client to login to their virtual desktops.

• Install the view agent on the VM

• Present the VM to your users via view manager 3.1.1

• Connect to the VM using View client – you will see that your local printers being redirected to the remote view session.

For Wyse – we took alittle different approach:

We deployed the printers using a print server. When user logs in to the VM session via Wyse terminal , I use login script to map the correct printers to their session.

Please consider awarding points if you find this post helpful.

0 Kudos
christophhammer
Contributor
Contributor

You could also remove the print components that come with VMWare and reinstall the .print Engine you mentioned in your post. ThinPrint has a removal script for the print components on their forum for the cleanup.

0 Kudos