VMware Horizon Community
dkvello
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View 3.1 and vCenter 4 ?

I know it's not "Supported" etc. etc. etc. But It's hard telling some customers that they can't upgrade to vSphere 4 until Q4 2009 because View won't work.

I know View 3.0.x doesn't work that well (Composer/Linked Clones) , but has View 3.1 become more tollerant of vCenter 4 / vSphere 4 ?

Any way of making View 3 work tollerably now (Small scale deployment, only < 10 concurrent users) ?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jklimczak1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can alway try to get them in the beta. Depending on your VM Rep. and what the deal can bring. I would reach out to your inside sales guy

0 Kudos
dkvello
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmm, Allready on the list, but no dates yet.

0 Kudos
jgruenke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you really wanted to upgrade, and didn't mind doing some extra work...you could install a second vCenter server, and have that one control your desktops, and then have your existing vCenter server manage your servers.

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am running View 3.01 and vCenter 4, it is working just fine. i do not run composer/linked clones.

I will be upgrading to 3.1 this weekend.

so far it works quite well.

Stephen

0 Kudos
xcrracer2
Contributor
Contributor

Any word on composer support in vSphere 4?

0 Kudos
AUPhil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is my understanding that vCenter 2.5U5 and ESX 3.5U4 are the only VI3 components required for View 3.1.x.

The VM desktops must run on ESX 3.5U4 hosts

View Composer must run on vCenter 2.5U5

Howerver, the View Manager VM and the SQL Server VM can run on ESX 4.0 hosts.

Phil

0 Kudos
Erik_Bussink
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm running in production (officially unsupported) a View 3.1.2 infrastructure using vSphere 4.0 servers and a vCenter 4.0

Because we use a persistent desktop pool, we have no need of the Composer server (which only works with vCenter 2.5).

Erik Bussink Solution Architect @VMware CISSP, VCP#67, RHCE, DCUCD
0 Kudos