VMware Horizon Community
Gdriver
Contributor
Contributor

View 3.1.2 - Restoring View Standard Server with existing replica server

Hi,

I have 2 View Connection broker Server (1 Standard, 1 replica) and 1 security server. The primary connection broker crashed, so I switched to the replica server. Everything works finde.

But now I want to restore the Standard server. I installed it as Standard Server again. I tried to import the data export file from the replica server but it didn´t work because

"Connecting to "127.0.0.1"

Logging in as current user using SSPI

Importing directory from file "vdmconfig.ldf"

Loading entries.

Add error on line 10: Already Exists

The server side error is "An attempt was made to add an object to the directory

with a name that is already in use."

0 entries modified successfully.

An error has occurred in the program

No log files were written. In order to generate a log file, please

specify the log file path via the -j option."

is there a way to add the standard server again into his old position that it gets all the data from the replica without a downtime?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
swiftangelus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I believe that there is no such thing as a primary server. If you lose the first server which was installed as a standard server and have added a second server installed as a replica they are the same. To restore the original server I would recommend reinstalling the software as a replica.

The only time you should need to restore anything is if the shared ADAM directory is dead, at which point you would need to restore the ADAM directory.

I hope this makes sense?

0 Kudos
Gdriver
Contributor
Contributor

No, this doesn´t work, because if you say install a replica server you have to name a server from which the replica "replicates". If you name here an existing replica server, the installer notices that like "server B is a replication of server b, du you want to replace this replica server instance". Not word 4 word but I think you understand me. right? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
swiftangelus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, just to check I understand:

You have rebuilt the dead connection server with the original server name

You have a second connection server built as a replica

You reinstall the connection manager software selecting replica on the rebuilt server

You enter the second connection server as the server to reduplicate from

You get a message that the original server name already exists do you want to replace it with this server?

If that is the case it seems to suggest that the ADAM database recognizes that there was a server already used with this name and do you want to overwrite it?

Caveat, never tried it so would like to test it, but seems like I would select yes.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

swiftangelus was correct in his first reply on this.

You should do the following.

1. On your working replica Connection Server, remove knowledge of the original standard instance. Do this with "vdmadmin -S -r -s " where computername is the NETBIOS name of the old standard instance.

2. On the replacement standard instance server make sure there is no Connection Server or ADAM instance installed. Install Connection Server and specify "Replica instance". When it asks for the name of the Connection Server from which to replicate, specify the working replica instance. You will then have two servers as you did before.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

0 Kudos