VMware Horizon Community
rlleonard
Contributor
Contributor

View 3.1.1 Linked Clone QuickPrep Question

When creating a physical desktop image, there are certain applications that I don't include in the image such as various agents (remote control, A/V, etc), but add the install strings to the runonce section of the sysprep.inf. In the case of our remote control agent, the admin guide specifically advises against including their agent in an image. Fast forward to our View installation and I'm creating a pool of persistent linked clones. Do I install those agents in the base image or do I need to create a batch file to install those agents that is called in the Post-synchronization script of QuickPrep? If I should use the script, doesn't that run each time I recompose the VMs (which I don't think should happen)?

Any suggestions are appreciated, I think I'm just having a hard time adjusting my years of physical desktop images to the View model!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When creating a physical desktop image, there are certain applications that I don't include in the image such as various agents (remote control, A/V, etc), but add the install strings to the runonce section of the sysprep.inf. In the case of our remote control agent, the admin guide specifically advises against including their agent in an image. Fast forward to our View installation and I'm creating a pool of persistent linked clones. Do I install those agents in the base image or do I need to create a batch file to install those agents that is called in the Post-synchronization script of QuickPrep? If I should use the script, doesn't that run each time I recompose the VMs (which I don't think should happen)?

Any suggestions are appreciated, I think I'm just having a hard time adjusting my years of physical desktop images to the View model!

With linked clones typically you would install all software necessary on the base image before creating the clones. (VMware Tools, View, and View Composer mandatory of course). I'd say to go ahead and try a few to see if this works ok. I'm a little unclear on why your remote control agent admin guide says not to install their agent in an image. If you explained a little more on that I could possibly give some better advice.

rlleonard
Contributor
Contributor

I should have clarified my terminology a little better. The admin guide for the remote control software specifies not to install the agent in an image (such as a Ghost image, not a VM image), since the agent settings are dependent upon the computer name and SID. Does that make sense?

Thank you for the response.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ah ok in that case you may not want to install it in the image. Although I think linked clones end up having the same SID, but a different computer name. I'd have to check to be 100% sure though so take that with a grain of salt. The view admin guide should elaborate on that fact when talking about view composer.

0 Kudos