VMware Horizon Community
ir1shm1ike
Contributor
Contributor

Video through Thin Client? Anyone?

I just purchased some NeoWare Thin-Clients. Hooked up a External Cd/DVD Rom, and I can connect to the Cd-Rom with no problems, I can see all my files. But I went to try and playback some Video off a DVD and it says with PowerDVD that Video Playback through Terminal Services is prohibited. And doesn't work. Anyone else try this and get this error and if so, how do you fix it if possible.?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
devzero
Expert
Expert

video and multimedia is a real issue with thin-client computing (and thus with VDI)

there are some vendors who have specific extensions/optimization for this, but don`t wonder that you don`t get fullscreen video "out of the box".

please ask your vendor if he can help with this - or take a look at thin client solutions which are especially built to support video/multimedia. Nec US100 looks promising - see http://www.nec-computers.com/LocalFiles/SITE2007/Specs/VPCC/VPCCTechnology.pdf

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Mike

Just to add to devzero's post. The NEC device is actually an OEM product from Wyse. I've seen it perform during an in house demonstration while Wyse was here, and DVD playback through VDI was spot on.

Wyse is working on an update for their other devices that will allow for this functionality soon. The only major difference is that that video codecs will be software vs. hardware on the NEC device. I've heard that a BETA of the technology may become available in the next few weeks. Possible release sometime in June has been mentioned as well. I would recommend contacting your local Wyse rep for more information though.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
ir1shm1ike
Contributor
Contributor

Bummer. We just purchased 65 of the NeoWare VDI Edition Thin-Clients. Very easy to setup, and get connected. They even are pretty quick as far as accessing files on a External Cd-Rom hooked up to it. Just Video playback from a file on a Share is a little choppy and Video Playback from the External DVD I haven't even got to work. Hopefully something comes along to correct this.

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Seeing as how the two big players (NeoWare and Wyse) seem to keep playing catch-up with each other on any new technology... it's probably only a matter of time until it's available elsewhere in some fashion.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Steve, you are getting as loved up about Wyse as Elli-prof is about Provision Networks. Smiley Happy

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey hey hey... let's just be clear here... We haven't made our decision as to which client we are going with, I'm trying to be objective as the last thing/sales rep passed through here. Smiley Happy

...and how dare you associate me with Provision Networks! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

...and how dare you associate me with Provision

Networks! :smileygrin:

Just for the record, I am somewhat kidding there. The external consultant we are bringing in on this project is strongly advising we take a look at their broker. Although I have my reservations, I'm willing to put them into the mix before we make a final decision.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

its nice to be objective. lol

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Elie-prof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now - Now - be nice!

... and you should throw it in the mix. You'll be pleasantly surprised, as the rest of the landscape is "ugly". How is that for love of Provision? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I feel suiltabaly chastised. head hung in shame Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
TheBigHNF
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the Wyse Thin OS is running on the OEMed hardware. This same OS is running on a new device from Wyse called the V10L which has DVI output, the ability to drive two monitors and an equivalent to a 1 GHz processor. This increased processor power allows for the software codecs to decode certain video types locally on the device via a separate RDP channel. They have also figured out a different way to leverage some of the local codecs on the XP session to decode the video and then re-encode it into a form which the client can decode allowing for smooth video even though the codec does not exist on the client. Right now the code exist on the Wyse Thin OS and Windows XP/XPe, but they are going to also make it available for their CE and Linux clients.

The plan is to initially support MPEG 1,2 and 4 plus WMV, but very quicly also support other formats.

I am sure that if you talk to your local salesperson, they can get a demonstration/BETA to test.

0 Kudos
redsox04
Contributor
Contributor

Also to comment on "Seeing as how the two big players (NeoWare and Wyse) seem to keep playing catch-up with each other on any new technology... it's probably only a matter of time until it's available elsewhere in some fashion."

Keep in mind - Wyse is the only vendor that has Wyse ThinOS it is NOT Linux hence these features will not work with Neoware. Wyse is clearly ahead of the ball with this release.

The Wyse V10L + soon to be released video enhancements/extensions look very exciting for both the VDI space as well as Citrix/TS if they port this technology to work on those platforms as well.

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

It's difficult to say. We use neoware, but we iso our videos, and quality is amazing....I haven't tried it from connected usb drive. I'll have to give it a look see this week. We don't use PowerDVD either, so I couldn't tell you how you'll work there. As to performance, the wyse other than software has been behind the neoware for some time. DVI out, check. 1 ghz proc, check, 2 gigs of ram available, check.....Bloody fast as hell video, check. Yep, it's been there for quite some time. I haven't tried to do video this way though.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
nec_vpcc
Contributor
Contributor

Please note that the multimedia acceloration is not strictly a Wyse capability. NEC is partnered with another developer to create the "redirector" software that is required to run on the client OS. Multimedia acceleration for the US100 requires both the HW and SW components.

The NetClient LSI which allows for the MMA (Multi media acceleration) was borne through a colaborative effort of NEC and another developer.

0 Kudos