VMware Horizon Community
Justin_Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Version Mismatch from Horizon Media provider for Skype on Mac

We just upgraded to Horizon 7.3.2 and windows clients seem to be working great so far.

I have two Mac users running 4.7.0 and they are getting a yellow bang with the notification version mismatch. Has anyone seen this? I can't find any documentation on this error.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The “Version mismatch” message means that Media Engine (on the client) is a different version than the Media Proxy (on the agent).  In this case, the the virtualization pack will work in reduced functionality.  To not get this message, you should use Horizon client 4.7 with 7.4 Agent, or Horizon client 7.3.2 with 7.3.2 agent.  Note that Mac client is supported starting with 7.4 client.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Justin_Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Replying to my own question here but also get the same message on windows when it is upgraded to 4.7.0. Other then the annoying message I am wondering if anyone knows the implications of this and if we should advise users to downgrade to the 4.6.1 client?

0 Kudos
extremist411
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did some testing with the Virt. Pack for Skype today, when using the VMware View Client 4.7 with View Agent 7.3.2 I get the same error.  Using VMware View Client 4.6 with View Agent 7.3.2 however does not generate this error so far.  I'm still trying to get Skype functions to work with an HP T610 that's got HP ThinPro 5.2.1 with VMware View Client 4.7 install and I'm not making much progress.  Skype locks up when I launch it, sometimes it eventually crashes and when it recovers I get the message that the Media Provider is in Fallback Mode and Skype launches just fine.

0 Kudos
kli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The “Version mismatch” message means that Media Engine (on the client) is a different version than the Media Proxy (on the agent).  In this case, the the virtualization pack will work in reduced functionality.  To not get this message, you should use Horizon client 4.7 with 7.4 Agent, or Horizon client 7.3.2 with 7.3.2 agent.  Note that Mac client is supported starting with 7.4 client.

0 Kudos
kli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi extremist411,

Please make sure you have a supported version of Skype for Business (latest updates are recommended):

• Skype for Business 2015 client: 15.0.4933.100 or later
  • Skype for Business 2016 as part of Office 365 Plus: 16.0.7571.2072 or later
  • Skype for Business 2016 as part of Office 2016: 16.0.4561.1000 or later
  • Skype for Business Basic 2015 or 2016 clients are not supported

Also, I would try without any devices (headsets/webcams) plugged in and see if Skype for Business starts up properly.

0 Kudos
Justin_Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well that is frustrating that they are not backwards compatible but explains what we are seeing. Thank You

0 Kudos