VMware Horizon Community
EricShun
Contributor
Contributor

Ver 2209/2206/2203 not connecting. App self terminates. Only v2111.1 works.

Work has required me to update my Horizons 8 to latest version.  I can no longer remote into work HVD from personal PC once upgraded to Horizons 8 ver 2209. I get the “Connecting” popup, then the app self terminates within 10 secs..

Ver 2206 &  2203 do not work either only ver 2111.1 which I’ve been using w/o any issues.  Techs at work said to contact VMware as they’ve done everything on their end.

My PC is  Win10 64bit / 56gb RAM

Things I’ve done so far:

• PC is fully updated
  • Temporarily disabled firewall & antivirus
  • Cleared temp files
  • Updated Horizons version from the app itself
  • Removed old version manually & installed new versions
  • Tried v2209, 2206 & 2203. Only v2111.1 seems to connect to my work HVD

Any assistance would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jimbeem
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Eric

I am not sure with 2203 but with 2206 onward the Horizon Client installs in ProgramFiles rather than (x86).

We had the same issue and added a local firwallrule. Try to add an any rule instead of deactivating it completely, for testing only of course. Maybe there are other restrictions (applocker,...) in place on (unlikely- private PC), but the new installation directory caused us also a bit of a trouble at first.

0 Kudos
EricShun
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks J. Still no luck in connecting to my HVD.

I routed upgrade install to x86 path instead of Program Files. Checked the firewall rules & I do already have a rule for VMware.  Deleted & recreated rule just for the heck of it. Tried Chrome, Firefox & Edge thinking it maybe browser related. Other than windows updates & games, I haven’t installed any new apps. Checked the background apps list to see if anything pops up.

Even offered the gods my half eaten 5 Guys double cheeseburger for a fix… silence. I have until end of Jan 2023 to update or get cut off from remoting in. I’ll continue surfing the web for a fix as well. Perhaps someone will have a similar issue in the coming weeks. But if you think of something please post.

0 Kudos
EricShun
Contributor
Contributor

Update--

1. I had someone show me Event Viewer. Ran that got the same errors when using v2209,2206 & 2203 but again no issues with v2111.1. (see Event Viewer errors at bottom of this post)
  2. Uninstalled & then installed latest version of NET Framework (4.8.1)… no luck
  3. A tech savvy colleague send me the following which didn’t work for me but fixed the issue for someone else who had same issue:

_______

run a memory diagnostic test on your RAM using Memtest86+ 

Right-click on ‘Command Prompt’ and choose ‘Run as Administrator’. A command prompt window appears Type sfc /scannow and hit Enter key Let the SFC scan to finish (It will automatically detect corrupt system files and will replace them with new from the cache)

Open command prompt in administrator mode and type chkdsk X: /f /r where X is the hard drive letter that needs repair and hit ‘Enter’ key.

Press ‘Windows + R’, type regedit, and hit ‘Enter’ Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_Dlls Double click LoadAppInit_DLLs and modify the value from 1 to 0 Click ‘OK’ to confirm the changes Close the Registry Editor Window and restart the system

for the DCOM try adjusting the permissions for the ones you sent 

use the following as template ... the specifics will be the 3 components you sent .. and the CLSID/APPID you sent

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activ...

_______

1. Ran a tool called Restoro Repair Tool as suggested. v2209 self terminates as before BUT v2206 & 2203 now generate an error message-- vmware horizon view unrecoverable error (crtbora) exception 0x00000002 has occurred

I guess that’s progress. Looked up the error online & there are threads on this issue but no fix.

*** EVENT VIEWER ERRORS ***

WINDOWS LOGS/ APPLICATION

Source= .NET Runtime

Description: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP xxxxxxxxx with exit code c0000005. 

Source= Application Error:

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Horizon View Client\vmware-view.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App\6.0.12\coreclr.dll

SYSTEM

3 items under Source= DistributedCOM

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

Windows.SecurityCenter.WscBrokerManager and APPID Unavailable to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID  Windows.SecurityCenter.SecurityAppBroker and APPID  Unavailable to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (xxxxxxx) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}

and APPID {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402} to the user xxxxxxxxxxx from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

--end---

0 Kudos
JRovan
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having a similar issue where I can connect to my VPC via Horizon Client 2206 (and older), but not with 2209. I am running on an old Mac Air running Ubuntu 22.04LTS.  It had been working flawlessly with Horizon Client for almost three years. With 2209, I can authenticate, but then the server terminates the connections in about 10 seconds without ever showing the VPC screen. I still have not had any success with a solution, but I have been gathering significant clues via the Horizon Client logs. For Windows, you can find the Horizon Client logs via these instructions:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2209/horizon-console-administration/GUID-3127B73A-B6DB-44F...

Here's to us both having luck.

0 Kudos
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here... have had a case open for months. I have even tried updating the UAG, Connection Servers and Agents to the latest and greatest. No luck. Run the older client and it works fine.

0 Kudos