VMware Horizon Community
AJDGarcia
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter Repoint SSO domain can cause issues on Horizon View?

Hi all,

i´ve an doubt about a procedure i´ll need to do.

I´ve two linked vcenter on sso domain vsphere.local, and a Horizon view platform, have another two linked vcenter on another sso domain, and Horizon view plataform, that is vsphere.local too Smiley Happy

I need the 4 vcenter connected to first sso domain vsphere.local, using the repoint to get all linked, horizon view will have any disruption?

tks.

6 Replies
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If I understood it correctly, you want to repoint your linked clones from vcenter to another vcenter, if this is the case, it is not officially supported by VMware for linked clones/Instant clones because your linked clones will work as long as vcenter hostname and IP address is same. If in case IP or hostname changes, you have to recreate linked clones Otherwise they be in error status in view admin page.

You can copy your full clones VDIs from one vcenter to another however linked clones/Instant clones won't work. The only option is to recreate them.

There are 3rd party blogs to achieve it however not officially supported hence I would not recommend you to do in production.

Evidence:

VMware Knowledge Base

VMware Knowledge Base

If you have any other doubt, feel free to put in and we can have a discussion.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

He means this I believe

Repointing vCenter Server to another SSO Domain - VMware vSphere Blog

while I don't think it would cause any issue outside of having to read the vcenter user account, I can't speak to if its supported or not.

Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes. This article is useful but with horizon standpoint VDIs (except full clones) won't respond if it finds vcenter IP or hostname is changed. So we have to rebuild these VDIs.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

The sso domain is different the the fqdn of the host though, that was the point I was trying to make. In 6.7  you can have external platform service controllers that handle the SSO domain, is the vsphere.local in sso administrator login(administrator@vsphere.local). You would point the vcenter server at these, so if you repoint the vcenter from a set of PSCs or to a new embedded psc in another vcenter. In this case all dns entries are all the same . Here is an article with an example

https://virtualtassie.com/2018/vcenter-6-7-cross-sso-domain-repointing/

the OP wants to repoint from company A to company B. In this case the vcenter fqdn and ip are staying the same, its just the vcenter specific user mangement that changes. administrator@companya.local is different the administrator@companyb.local.

This is of interest to me because I have a horizon pod in one sso domain and on in another that I need to repoint to the other one in the future.Basically I need to do exactly what the post is asking my self Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
AJDGarcia
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, sjesse is exactly as you described, i attach two image too get a better look of what i need, Now - is the image of what i have, Want - is want i want  Smiley Happy

The Horizon uses same active directory domain, the vcenters are diferent but beside in separate structures the sso domain fqdn is the same.

0 Kudos
AJDGarcia
Contributor
Contributor

One more detail, PSCs are already embedded in vCenter appliance.

0 Kudos