VMware Horizon Community
lacrymaldi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VPN Access through thin clients

Hi All - I am new to the forum.

We are allowing our network staff to work from home through thin clients using vmware VDI. One part I dont get is what sory of vpn we can use. If we us a SSL VPN we cannot use linux (non-xwindows) or wyse os based thin clients, right? So does it have to be XP embedded to support a VPN.

ANy info would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
epping
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

no this is not possible, it has to be the linux OS on the wyse device

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
epping
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

hi

if you use ssl vpn it depends how you want to make the connection i.e. rdp or maybe an active x plug in, this is dependent on the browser and your settings on your connection broker.

for a standard VPN you are restricted to your security policys, here we use cisco concentrators and i have succesfully got the cisco vpn client working on linux, there has to be a rule on the concentrator though to permit a linux connection. So if you have a wyse linux client you should be able to use ssl and vpn if your security people set the correct rules.

hope this helps

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Cool so youve installed the client onto the WYSE OS?

Would be good to see some further detail on this one.

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

no this is not possible, it has to be the linux OS on the wyse device

0 Kudos
lacrymaldi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Epping,

I was thinking more of the "clientless" vpn solutions out there like Juniper, and similar devices. Their clients are usually a browser plug in (i believe). Would this work if you didn't have a browser?

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

no,please see above post this is only possible with linux or windows, the wyse os can not be used

0 Kudos
stuart_ling
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You could setup a router to act as the VPN client and then only allow the MAC address of the thin client through. Not ideal but should give you a working solution.

0 Kudos