VMware Horizon Community
Natlloyds
Contributor
Contributor

VOIP Softphones with VMWare-View (poor sound qaulity)

We have VMWare-View 5.0 running succsesfully in both windows and ubuntu with working usb redirection.

BUT the softphones we use jitter terribly, to the extent that conversation is unitelligible at times.  Fixing this is a requirement for us to move VDI into production.

1.There is VERY plentiful bandwidth, and the latency less than 1ms

2.The systems in question all have Plentiful resources, I have watched both, and neither of them ever use more than half their available resources.

3.We have tried two different models of headsets, and several different applications (all are effected)

4.Adjustments to virtual memory have an affect on the audio qaulity, but do not resolve the issue.

We already have a ticket open with VMWare; But I figured I would also post here just in case someone in the community has stumbled across a solution.

It would be an immense heklp to us, and an intresting problem solved, if anyone can figure it out.

Would also be useful to other people working with similar configurations in the future.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What kind of softphones? USB or analog?

What kind of software?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Natlloyds
Contributor
Contributor

USB Headsets, there isn't any specialized phone hardware because that is all managed by the software.

Its with ANY application that has audio output to the headset. Even windows sound effects. 

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, as I suspected.

So the problem here could be two thing or a combination of the two:

1. Network bandwith getting saturated

2. Hypervisor granularity is not enough for voice.

This is things that are being adressed from different angles, for example the partnership with some of the UC vendors:

http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2011/08/vmworld-2011-vmware-view-5-with-unified-communications.html

There will also be some announcements soon that could help this situation:

http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2012/04/save-the-date-vmware-end-user-computing-virtual-event-may-3rd.ht...

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Natlloyds
Contributor
Contributor

I'm fairly certain that it is neither of these.

1.There is more than enough bandwidth, we are monitoring it at both ends and several points inbetween, An alert is sent if goes anywhere near saturation.

2.Vmware Handles voice just fine as long as it isnt going through usb forwarding.  As near as we can tell, its a software issue with the virtual USB hub driver.

Similar issues with non-usb audio qaulity issues can be resolved via the teradici audio driver, but there is no deployment of this audio driver that will function with forwarded usb devices.

0 Kudos