VMware Horizon Community
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VOIP (IPT) and VDI

Does anyone have experience with implementing VOIP (particularly Cisco) into the VDI world? By that I mean, the end goal would be to have one of our IP phones plugged in to the Thin Client and the Thin Client connected back to a VM workstation through RDP. Then allowing a user to be able to dial from their contacts in Outlook directly to the phone as they would with a normal workstation. We've been able to dial from contacts in early pilot, but just interested in additional feedback.

We are also planning to test Soft Phones running on the VM workstation. This would of course either require a headset or some other phone-like device plugged in to the Thin Client. Being a Citrix Admin, I'm overly familiar with the fun of audio synchronization over a remote connection, but this should work in theory anyway.

To make this even more interesting, we have just recently started to deploy cameras for the phones. It is basically a simple USB WebCam which uses drivers/software from Cisco to connect up users on a video conference through the phone. I know this would be tricky with the technology as it sits today, but I'm curious if anyone has looked into this at all. Not a full on requirement for us, but it may make or break VDI usage in some situations here.

Lastly and just to round this out, I've recently engaged a contact at NEC in regard to their "Virtual PC Center" offering (http://www.necam.com/ThinClient/). The main reason for the contacting them was that they show VOIP all throughout their marketing. I have yet to actually get a complete undersatnding/explanation of exactly what it is they are providing, and was curious if anyone has any experience with this? I'm aware the main device is OEM from Wyse, but we were curious what NEC is providing as an overall solution. More importantly how it helps with VOIP in particular.

I realize this is a rather lengthy "question", so let me know if anyone needs clarification to be able to address anythhing. Any feedback or input is very much appreciated though.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
29 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I am actually still struggling to understand whether I am southern European or northern African ...... 😄

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yeah, once the points are gone, no one has anyhting to "lose" so we all just loiter around. :smileygrin: Maybe they should add a "throw someone a bone" point system for after the fact something is answered... hehe.

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Out of curiousity, what exactly does the product gain for you? TWAIN should work over ICA, so I'm not sure what in particular it would add there. Is it primarily intended for RDP connections... or possibly not even either of those categories? Sounds like there is a client portion that could make a scanner available on another system without even needing a remote connection to the host?

Thanks again

Steve

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Remote Scan is effectively a Scanning Shareing tool, it is very good at what is does.

true TWAIN will work over ICA but VDI Is currently RDP based (as you know) and will be until CTX get there Desktop Server edition out.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Got it... thanks for the clarification.

0 Kudos
nec_vpcc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If anyone is still interested in finding about the VoIP capabilities of NEC's Virtual PC Center solution please let me know.

It sounds like many people have the wrong understanding of the OEM deal of Wyse, as well as the capabilies that the NEC VoIP solution can offer.

0 Kudos
jamalomar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i would like to ask question from this topic............i am new learner of the VIOP world, and i can see few educated people on this chat.

i do have ccm and unity install on a vmware, and i would like to install ip communicator on two other vertual computers, so that those 2 ip communicator phones could call each other and set it up via call manager.

the is question is, is there a way for those 2 computers that have the ip commucator phones be connected to the servers that have the ccm installed so that i can configure the phones to communicate?

i hope my question is clear..............please educate me on this

thank you

0 Kudos
needcaffeine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

unless things have changed greatly in the last cisco models, the data/pc port in the back of a phone does not support PoE

0 Kudos
nec_vpcc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you are running soft phones on a VM and connecting through RDP, you will have issues with the RDP's inability to have upstream audio.

0 Kudos
El_Faraon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Guys,

I am working hard to find a solution to a SIP phones over thin clients, do they think about to use the SIP software into the think cliento too?. what do you think about this idea?

Install the SIP software into the thin client and take the image/video of the other app by rdp, etc.

I want to know your comments Smiley Wink

regards

0 Kudos