VMware Horizon Community
NHCdmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VNC or similar software to remote control View Desktops ?

Quick question,

Our organization is using SunRay2 terminals to connect VM View Desktops.

I'm looking for some software that'll allow us to remote control the Desktops whilst their being used by a User ( in a helpdesk sort of way ).

At the moment we've tried - Infrastructure Client ( Open Console ), VNC, Hyena and RDP. However the problem I've come across is when I remote access the Desktop the user gets disconnected.... thus we cann't see the problems our users may be having..

Accessing VM Servers in this way has no problems, only VM View Desktops are affected, is this a Microsoft XP RDP issue ?

Any suggestions and or software recommendations are welcome...

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jfischer-GaTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have not tested this yet, but we are considering the WebEx remote support tools:

http://www.webex.com/product-overview/support-center/remote-support.html

We also use LANDesk on campus and may try to use Remote Control -- but installing and maintaining the agent in a View environment presents some challenges. That the WebEx tools seem (on paper) to overcome.

Jeff

kovals
Contributor
Contributor

Do you familiar with the shadow 0 way to take control on session?

0 Kudos
cpacholke
Contributor
Contributor

Both VNC and RDP should "seize" the session from the user.

Remote Assistance should work for this and keep the desktop shared.

Also, we use the Altiris Deployment Solution remote control agent as well as Carbon Copy successfully in our environment and maintain the shared experience.

ScotK
Contributor
Contributor

VNC does not seize the session from the user. I used to use it for exactly this use in previous jobs. Some versions can blank the screen and/or disable local input, but that is the extent. It will also not do this by default, that is optional. Some versions of VNC also have the benefit of being able to transfer files natively via the VNC protocol. Very handy sometimes, especially across the internet.

0 Kudos
NHCdmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"

We have not tested this yet, but we are considering the WebEx remote support tools:

We also use LANDesk on campus and may try to use Remote Control -- but installing and maintaining the agent in a View environment presents some challenges. That the WebEx tools seem (on paper) to overcome.

Jeff "

Hi Jeff, thanks for your input.

I was thinking about using Webex at one stage, but I don't think that's a solution ( for us anyway ). In a situation where either our Internet connection and or proxy have gone down then we'll be unable to assist local users.

Thanks again though, good thought.

0 Kudos
NHCdmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

" Both VNC and RDP should "seize" the session from the user.

Remote Assistance should work for this and keep the desktop shared.

Also, we use the Altiris Deployment Solution remote control agent as well as Carbon Copy successfully in our environment and maintain the shared experience. "

That's exactly what we're finding due to SunRays accessing the XP View client via RDP and XP only allowing 1 RDP session.

Remote assistance may be the way to go, we may have a few issues with that, but I'll give it some serious thought...... I'll also look into Altiris, however that may turn out to be too costly..

Thanks for your input

0 Kudos
markvr80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use VNC to access peoples VMs and it works fine. Allows you to share the desktop and so you can see any errors etc on their screen. We use BGInfo to put their IP address on the top right of their desktop so they can tell us what to connect to.

0 Kudos